Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Driving licence loophole: urban myth?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
11 replies 5.1K views
silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
42.6K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
One of those dinner party conversations that you just know is wrong but can't put your finger on why. Anyone know why this is just not possible?

Allegedly, if your driving licence starts to build up points, you should apply for an international driving licence. If you then get more points you quote your international driving licence number and the authorities cannot add your points to it, so you never lose your licence!
Usually found at a vaccine centre 💉
I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Replies

• ecoelleecoelle Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be a baddy but if points are building on your license that badly maybe you should learn to drive more safely?
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j 14 years to go on the mortgage
  • I've no idea to be honest - but seems unethical either way and the idea leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Bide by the law and take your penalties like the rest of us and meanwhile, vote for Mr Clarkson for PM - he'll get rid of the camera's for starters :D pay enough in tax as it is............
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • dzugdzug Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    There is no such thing as an international driving licence. Firms who try to sell you one are scamsters.

There is an international driving permit - but it is not a licence to drive. It is a translation of your real licence into about a dozen different languages. Your real licence is what allows you to drive - the IDP just allows the cops to understand it.

IDPs issued in the UK are a) not valid in the UK anyway b) have the same number as your UK licence
    so really wouldn't help even if the premise were true.
  • WigWig Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. An IDP is only valid for 12 months
    2. An IDP issued in the UK is not valid for use in the UK

So I would say it's balls
  • mrbadexamplemrbadexample Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you could apply for a French licence. They start with 12 points (IIRC), and knock them off for speeding etc. Hit zero and you lose your licence.

Build 'em up over here, get 'em knocked off again over there.

Not. :p
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Well, you could apply for a French licence. They start with 12 points (IIRC), and knock them off for speeding etc. Hit zero and you lose your licence.

Build 'em up over here, get 'em knocked off again over there.

Not. :p

If only!..........:D
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • anewmananewman Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The other way is to get a wife/husband who'll take the points on your behalf, as soon as they lose their license get a divorce and find the next victim :rotfl:
  • silvercar wrote: »
    One of those dinner party conversations that you just know is wrong but can't put your finger on why. Anyone know why this is just not possible?

Allegedly, if your driving licence starts to build up points, you should apply for an international driving licence. If you then get more points you quote your international driving licence number and the authorities cannot add your points to it, so you never lose your licence!

BWAHAHAHAHA....

Copper: "Can I have your name and address"
    <tap tap tap on the PNC computer in the traffic car>
    (Option 1)
    Copper: "DVLA state you have a UK licence. Can you tell me why you told me you haven't?"
    (Option 2)Copper: "Can you tell me how long you've been back in the UK? Can you tell me why you have not exchanged your International Licence for a UK one as you're required to as our records indicate you've been in the UK for some considerable time?"

It'll stand up to police roadside checks for about as long as it takes for him to tap your name and address into the computer and your details flash up on the screen.

HERE'S A HINT... don't drive like an !!!! and you'll not get points.
  • piggehpiggeh Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a hint - dont get caught :)
    matched betting: £879.63
  • wilf55wilf55 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    there are good sites that advise you how to find the loopholes and get away with it not that i think that it is a good idea or i advocate them

drive safely how would you feel if it was your kid that got killed because some one had "got away with it"
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals