Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Car damaged - what are my rights??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
4 replies 555 views
PandaPants_2PandaPants_2 Forumite
2K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
I drove over a MASSIVE hole in the road today, there were no signs or warnings. My car now veers to the left and my steering wheel shudders when i go over 40mph. I am FURIOUS!! I have sent an email to the roads service in my area in Northern Ireland and am planning on phoning them tomorrow when i find out how much it will cost to fix my car.

What are my rights here?? Im aware i cant prove that the hole did the damage, even though i know it did. Are they liable for the damage??
Any help is much appreciated.
Undefeated Wii Fit ski jump champion!
Vegas Junkie....

Festering_Plates' number one fan! :T

Replies

• Cheers, ill pop in on my way home. Good thinking!
    Vegas Junkie....

• anewmananewman Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I know of someone who had similar happen which damaged an alloy wheel. Took a picture of hole, I would recommend putting a ruler/tape measure next to the hole so the size is evident. After two councils wrangled amongst themselves about who covered that bit of land, they eventually was paid the cost of a new wheel.
  • Ill be out first thing with my camera and tape measure! :rotfl:
    Vegas Junkie....

• yes get a picture of the hole,then call the local authority about it,watch the hole get covered very quickly,then claim for all the repairs.

i too know a guy who hit a pothole,he had very low profile tyres on his alloy wheels,pictured the offending hole,complained and got a full new set of wheels and tyres out of the council. its worth chasing.
    ...work permit granted!
This discussion has been closed.