What type of heaters are best??

Options
Hi, this is my first post so i hope it's in the right place!!

My flat currently has old storage and panel heaters. I am looking to update the system as these heaters are ancient and not very effective!! (new heaters and change of position). The problem is I am unsure of what heaters will be most cost effective.

I would like to have more control over the heaters i.e often they dont need to be on through the day so I have come across a system called duoheat through dimlex but i believe these are just glorified expensive storage heaters. I dont want to splash out on expensive heaters if normal storage and panel heaters are just as cost effective in the long run! :confused: Any info or advise would be grately appreciated.

Comments

• maz1839
    Options
    Perhaps should have mentioned i am on economy 7 tarriff
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

If you do a search, you will find dozens of threads discussing the very questions you raise.

By far the most important thing to remember is that all forms of electrical heating have the same efficiency, and that is 100%.

So regardless of using Granny's old 1/2/3 bar electric fire, or any other heater including these new systems with extravagant claims,(electowarm, kalirel etc) that can cost £thousnads to install, the heat output is exactly the same cost. i.e. For £1 of elecricity you get exactly the same heat output.

Now obviously if you have storage heaters, that heat can be obtained at the nightime cheap rate, and provided they can store adequate heat for your use, they are obviously cheaper to run. However if you have an Economy 7 tariff you pay more for your daytime electricity.

So Storage heaters are clearly the cheapest to run, and you are correct the the duoheat system is in essence a storage heater plus a convector heater combined. Not that I am knocking Diplex as they make good equipment, but simple storage heaters and a £20 free standing heater will do the job equally well.

What ever you do don't be fooled into buying these hugely expensive electrical heating systems running on daytime electricity, that are sold with claims of all sorts of reduced running costs. They are IMO a complete waste of money and, as said above, have exactly the same running costs as other heaters.
  • maz1839
    Options
    Thanks very much for that. I have just purchased my own flat and am trying to sort all these things out without spending a fortune. I suspect most company's etc see someone like me coming a mile of so thanks again:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure