Forum Home» Savings & Investments

Is there a ‘Roth IRA’ (tax free, compound interest) equivalent in the UK?

New Post Advanced Search

Is there a ‘Roth IRA’ (tax free, compound interest) equivalent in the UK?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
2 replies 10.3K views
leepwbriggsleepwbriggs Forumite
5 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
Hello,
I’m looking for some advice on how best to invest a bit of money each month. I’m not as clued up as I should be when it comes to money but I know I need to be investing something.
I am relatively young and want to start saving £100 a month; I would like to increase my monthly payments over time as I start to earn more. I don’t need access to this money, at least not for the next 20 years, and would like for it to just sit somewhere and grow.
I have read that “The key to wealth is compound interest. Invest just £100 every month when you’re 25 and at a 10% return, you’ll have £600,000 by the age of 65.”
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers,
~Lee

Replies

• AegisAegis Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, cash ISAs are tax free and pay compound interest, but nowhere near the 10% level!

To achieve 10% you'd probably need to be looking at stock market investments, which could definitely work out for you if you plan to save £100 per month for the very long term. However, you must ensure that you have sufficient savings for short term needs as well.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • purchpurch Forumite
    9.9K posts
    There is not direct equivalent to the Roth or Keogh IRA's

If you stuck £100 quid into an Cash ISA for 40 years at current rates and compounded the interest you'll probably get nearer £ 200,000 by the end
    'In nature, there are neither rewards nor punishments - there are Consequences.'
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support