New Student

Options

Comments

• fragster
    fragster Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the fact that they raised the tuition by 2k means ur still out of pocket if u get the whole thing tho
  • halcyon_drift
    Options
    if you opt to go to uni in scotland then you get ALL your fees paid for, however you get a really pathetic loan...think it has managed to break the £800 mark for non-means tested people this year.

dont spend it all at once

halcyon
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Options
    gah!!

what is wrong with giving middle class students a chance???

students with parents that don't earn much (often parents that are too lazy to work and are on the dole..) get loads of support..

students with parents that are well off get little support but their parents can often help..

students with parents that are doing ok but can't afford to support them get absolutely no help at all. It's so stupid. I can barely afford uni and only will be able to with a job which might badly effect my studies..
  • halcyon_drift
    Options
    i'm in the same position as yourself, minimal support from parents and loans company. I work all summer so that i dont have to work whilst i'm at uni. i always make sure to take a few weeks off at the end of the summer for a bit of a break though.

i dont think i'm the only one in this boat as most of my friends are in the same position.

always avoid working during term time if possible

Halcyon
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I have just done a budget with my soon to be 1st time University student son.  We used the spreadsheet on the MSE site (Brilliant by the way) and played around with the numbers to work out how much he needs after basic student loan, which will just about cover his hall fees.

I have to pay the tuition fees &  I have agreed to contribute another £100 per month so  if he earns about £200 per month he should be ok and not have to rely on overdrafts and bank loans.

Fortunatly he can cook and he knows where the bargains are (LOL).

He understands that it is OK to review the budget as he goes and if he spending more than he  planned in certain areas he can review it . He has been saving half his wage from his current part time job for about a year so he has some funds already.

He thinks it worthwhile putting in a few hours a week in a part time job now to start his working life without £15k debt.

It would be great to say don't worry I will pay for everything but a I can't afford it and b I believe that you value what you work for yourself.

My daughter is only one school year behind so I have to make sure that I can offer the same support to her next year.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Options
    i'm in the same position as yourself, minimal support from parents and loans company.  I work all summer so that i dont have to work whilst i'm at uni. i always make sure to take a few weeks off at the end of the summer for a bit of a break though.

i dont think i'm the only one in this boat as most of my friends are in the same position.

always avoid working during term time if possible

Halcyon

yeah I'm working full time at present (am there at the moment!!) but it's not much really.. I'm still using a lot of what I earn on driving lessons and supporting myself through the summer (I pay board to my boyfriend's mum which is where I live)

I don't think I'll get a proper job in term time but hopefully I can find some more freelance web design work.
  • F1F1
    F1F1 Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    I have just done a budget with my soon to be 1st time University student son.  We used the spreadsheet on the MSE site (Brilliant by the way) and played around with the numbers to work out how much he needs after basic student loan, which will just about cover his hall fees.

I have to pay the tuition fees &  I have agreed to contribute another £100 per month so  if he earns about £200 per month he should be ok and not have to rely on overdrafts and bank loans.

Fortunatly he can cook and he knows where the bargains are (LOL).

He understands that it is OK to review the budget as he goes and if he spending more than he  planned in certain areas he can review it . He has been saving half his wage from his current part time job for about a year so he has some funds already.

He thinks it worthwhile putting in a few hours a week in a part time job now to start his working life without £15k debt.

It would be great to say don't worry I will pay for everything but a I can't afford it and b I believe that you value what you work for yourself.

My daughter is only one school year behind so I have to make sure that I can offer the same support to her next year.

That's a good idea about the spreadsheet! I've downloaded the spreadsheet for our own use but never thought of it when we were trying to plan for No1 son starting uni in Sept.

Our tuition fees are paid for in Scotland but our son is only getting the £800 student loan. He's had a gap year and has been working so has some money behind him to help out, but we're paying for his halls, mobile, laptop and a monthly allowance.

He actually asked me to help him with basic cooking before he goes <shock ;)> and will hopefully use student discounts, etc.

We don't want our son to come out with large debts, so are helping him through, but don't want to <or can't afford to!> just throw money at him. He thought he might get a Saturday job but agrees with us that he shouldn't jeopardise his studies with too much work in term time.

Yes, we have No2 son who might be going to uni next year as well. Agree with a lot of what you say, Nearlyrich!
  • omar_3
    Options
    can anyone provide me with a link to the spreadsheet mentioned.

I am new here so please be gentle... tried searching but i never get a results page, it just says performing search or something.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Edit :

The link didn't work so try this:

Go to the main site and put spreadsheet in the search box (the article you need was published 7th July)

My brain isn't working this morning sorry!!

The link will take you to the budgeting article and the download is in the middle of the page.

Have fun. :)
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • F1F1
    F1F1 Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    can anyone provide me with a link to the spreadsheet mentioned..

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/files/msebudget.zip
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport