Working out average bill costs

ilnf
ilnf Posts: 150 Forumite
Hi.

Me and my OH are looking to buy our first house this year. I would like to work out what our monthly outgoings would be. Electric, Gas, Water etc are the main areas which I have no idea as to what the costs would be. The houses we are looking are 2 Bedroom, 'heated via a combination of a gas heater and electric convector heaters'. There will be just the two of us who both work full time.

Is there any link where I would find this type of infomation (at current prices) or would anyone be able to give me a ball park figure?

Thanks

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    With Electric Convector heating, your electricity bills will be high.

What sort of gas heater? for hot water?

The average household spends over £1,000 pa on gas & electricity.

Whilst 2 people, out all day would expect to pay less than this, electric heating will push it bak up.

Water depends where you live; as charges vary across the country - around £300?? as an average?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    It depends how much heat you want and how well the house retains heat. With convector heaters you can easily control which rooms are heated and when.

We use a combination of gas fire and convector heaters and are out most of the day - 2 bed town house. Convector heaters are on timers and thermostats for about 4 hours per day one in each bedroom set at 18 degrees C, output set to 1kw, once the room is up to heat they are hardly on. Before our daughter arrived the spare room was rarely heated as we never used it.

We've just had our latest bills - Nov, Dec, Jan most expensive months. Gas £100 (we cook using gas and all our water is from a gas multipoint - shower and one bath every day).

Electricity £70 - we use a tumble dryer for all our clothes drying - 5 or 6 loads a week, but offset this by only having low energy bulbs, turning off electrical items when not in use etc etc

In summer our bills are about half this, so our annual bill is nowhere near £1000 per annum, more like half this.

Our water is £240, but we are on the old rates sytem. Online checks suggests with our household switching to a meter wouldn't save us money.
  • ilnf
    ilnf Posts: 150 Forumite
    Thank you both, that was the info I was looking for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure