E7, faulty timer repaired - are storeage heaters now working correctly?

Options
Hi all,
I had a faulty electricity timer repaired last week and have contacted NPower for some kind of compensation.

I have never used storeage heaters before and would like your expert advice on whether or not they are now working correctly.

They are almost cold when i get in from work at 5.30pm, giving out only a drop of heat. However at 4am they are really kicking out heat. Is this normal?

Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

Anna

Comments

• nick74
    nick74 Posts: 829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

Make sure the control marked "Output" or "Boost" or similar is turned right down to the minimum until you need extra heat in the evening.

It is normal for storage heaters to heat up during the small hours, but they should be retaining enough heat to still be reasonably warm the following evening.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    If you had a faulty timeswitch they will amend your bills to match what they should have been.

Was everything billed on day or night? Usually if it was on night, they cut their losses and don't try and backbill any of the day units leaving it in your favour.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • chas1937
    chas1937 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    I always turn the output down too nil when I go to bed at night and that means the storage heat is retained longer for evening use.I must add that I had 2 new heaters fitted at end of last year and although bit slimmer than previous ones they dont stay as warm as last ones did.Probably because storage bricks are slightly slimmer in new ones therefore not having same capacity too store extra heat
  • anna_2007
    Options
    thanks for all the wise words.

Apparently the timer wasnt keeping to time but was switching between night and day at various times - our day rate bill was 6 times our night rate so i'll be fighting for some kind of compensation.

Will check out the boost settings but i'm almost certain these are on off.

Many thanks again

Anna
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, in that case then you have been disadvantaged by the faulty timeswitch and your Supplier has to replace your bills.

They tend to do this by assessing your usage over the next month and working out your % split day/night. Be careful though, we are in winter so their % could be higher than it should be if they don't think about how you were billed incorrectly prior to the winter period (if that makes sense?)

Faulty timeswitches are common and the Supplier doesn't own them, so they are not directly responsible for their maintenance. They may give you a gesture of goodwill though.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure