No Mule Card

Options
Although I have a Egg Credit card I was refused an Egg Money card about 3 months ago and I need one to get hold of some stoozing money.

I read on one of the other threads that Virgin Money is the same as Egg money, is this correct.

I also wondered whether it would be possible to balance transfer to one of these new prepaid debit cards then i could use that to pay general bills etc and leave me with stoozing money.

Comments would be appreciated

Comments

• CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Although I have a Egg Credit card I was refused an Egg Money card about 3 months ago and I need one to get hold of some stoozing money.

I read on one of the other threads that Virgin Money is the same as Egg money, is this correct.

I also wondered whether it would be possible to balance transfer to one of these new prepaid debit cards then i could use that to pay general bills etc and leave me with stoozing money.

Virgin Money card will work too, you can transfer from it directly to your bank account.

Think someone else had a similiar problem on another nearby post, but there was some doubt if they'd be accepted for a Virgin Money card when they'd been declined for an Egg Money card.

Does your current Egg Card have a huge credit limit on it? Looked at your credit report to see if there's any red flags there?
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • Granville23
    Options
    Hi Cannyjock

I have had my Egg credit card since about 2003 and it only has £1,400 limit on it. I have also had a credit report, but there is nothing on there relating to EGG.
    There are however cards mentioned on there that I have canceled but they have 'settled' beside them but also there is one that, although I havent used for some time, is still valid and also has 'settled beside it. So i am a bit confused about the report. :confused:
  • wayoflife
    Options

Virgin are run by MBNA, and MBNA also have cards wih that facility to transfer from your Card to current account

In my experience it is 'easier' to get a card from Virgin, just going by my initial credit limits, Egg= £500 Virgin= £5k!

you wouldnt need to transfer to a prepaid debit card, just do it to your normal cash card or whatever main account you have. Be warned that these prepaid cards often have charges and fees attached (I havnt seen one that is entirely free) make sure you read the T&C'S if you really want to do it but IMO the fees will outweigh the stooze

is there a reason why you mentioned the prepaid debit card?
    INCREASE INTEREST ON SAVINGS!

...I will thank you if youve been helpful, please do the same! :j
  • CannyJock
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are however cards mentioned on there that I have canceled but they have 'settled' beside them but also there is one that, although I havent used for some time, is still valid and also has 'settled beside it.

The "settled" cards are there just for historical purposes to show your payment history on them. If they're "settled" then it's no long valid and won't be using up any of your potential credit.

If you're looking for a card to spend money on to leave your own funds for stoozing, I'd look into a 0% purchase card - I've just taken out an HSBC 0% purchases card (0% for 12 months) for exactly that.
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • Granville23
    Options
    Thanks Guys
    wayoflife wrote: »
    is there a reason why you mentioned the prepaid debit card?

No, it just came into my head just a thought but now I realise it be no good.

I will go for the Virgin money as I have got about 3K on another card which is coming to the end of the 0% and hopefully they might give me 5 or 6k. I still have an A & L card which is run by MBNA that ran out in November (0%)so in a sense I could use that as a mule card aswell couldn't I or would I end up paying a fee twice.

What I couldn't understand with them is that my minimum payment by direct debit, apart from the first was only £5

:beer:
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All mbna cards had a minimum payment of £5 at one time. I think it may be up now. Your first payment would have been £5 plus your balance transfer fee.
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    It's possible to use your ordinary Egg card - put it into credit, then bal trf to your bank account. But make sure not to do it in your "anniversary month" or you might get bal trf fees. (And also double check that Egg are not offering any "special promotions" before you do the bal trf, as these can trip you up too).
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • Granville23
    Options
    Hi strapped
    Strapped wrote: »
    It's possible to use your ordinary Egg card - put it into credit, then bal trf to your bank account. But make sure not to do it in your "anniversary month" or you might get bal trf fees.

If I BT from another card i.e. Abbey, to put it in credit I will be charged a fee are you sure that egg wont charge a fee to transfer it to to my bank account.

If you are correct, does this apply to other cards if one puts it into credit
  • Martinslovechild
    Options
    sicker wrote: »
    All mbna cards had a minimum payment of £5 at one time. I think it may be up now. Your first payment would have been £5 plus your balance transfer fee.
    My Alliance & Leicester Visa (also administered by MBNA) still has a £5 monthly charge.

I've heard of slightly higher charges on other MBNA & MBNA-affiliated cards, although only slightly higher, which makes them excellent cards for stoozing.
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • CannyJock
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi strapped

If I BT from another card i.e. Abbey, to put it in credit I will be charged a fee are you sure that egg wont charge a fee to transfer it to to my bank account.

If you are correct, does this apply to other cards if one puts it into credit

Egg won't charge a fee if your account is positive (just done 3 balance transfers through it in last week).

Some cards are less helpful in repaying credit balances - I had a genuine overpayment to an Amex card couple of years back and they point blank refused to refund it, citing money laundering. Even though I took the "how very dare you" stance and pointed out I'd been a loyal customer for years with an exemplary track record with them, but they didn't budge. At the end of the day I had to spend on my card to get it back - and they didn't pay me interest for the over-payment. Safe to say that I cancelled the card after that - though I've since taken out the Lloyds Duo Amex/Mastercard since and they didn't hold it against me :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure