Calor Gas Provence Stove Mobile Heater

Options

Comments

• sellingmysoul666
    sellingmysoul666 Posts: 990 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 7 December 2010 at 12:31AM
    Options
    "what lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • chalkysoil
    chalkysoil Posts: 1,662 Forumite
    Options
    love the fire :) Oil finally arrived on Wednesday so don't need to have it on but it's nice and cosy in the evening, and as it's independent of the electricty it'll be very useful when we get our too frequent power cuts, and those summer evenings when we don't have the central heating on but want a bit of warmth.
    Only suitable for large rooms or bad things happen.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AnthonyUK wrote: »
    Here is a e-mail reply I got from the makers of the Provence heater:
    RE: provence heater:why no catalytic convertor fitted on current models?......the market demand was for the model without Catalytic Converter.....

All with cat gas portable heaters in the UK are mysteriously out of stock. If catalytic converters are so obviously good for cars (which are outdoor fuel burners) I cannot understand why no UK makers/suppliers want to offer them. Something to do with cost & profitability maybe?
  • Intasun32
    Intasun32 Posts: 443 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2011 at 2:55PM
    Options
    I have recently purchased the Provence gas heater and like one of the previous posts I also read that the web site quoted 'depending on the settings used' you will get 105 hours from a 15kg bottle of gas.

I have now used two 15kg bottles and have found that on setting '2' of the three settings I am getting aprox 45 hours of use per bottle. The number '1' setting is no more than the pilot light and number '3' gives the nice flame effect through the coals, which looks very nice but I'd hate to think how much gas it will use on that setting.

I first contacted the Calor Gas dealer from whom I had purchased the heater who informed me that this is dealt with by Calor customer service. I called them and was told to call the makers Universal Innovations who are based in the Irish Republic. I checked out their web site and found an 0800 number which was based in Warwick. They gave me another 0800 number, which had an answer phone, I left a message and I am yet to receive a return call. I have also e-mailed Universal Innovations who have also yet to reply regarding the high gas usage.

I have had several bottle gas heaters over the years and this heater is a good looking unit and gives out a lot of heat but it is very expensive to use even for a few hours a day.

What gas usage has other found?

:beer:
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your heater will be as efficient as any other modern one - that is, most gas gets turned into heat. Typical settings are 1, 2 or 3 kw on larger models, or 1, 2 kw (approx) on smaller ones. So you get as much heat as you pay for. I would only worry if your minimum setting is 2 kw, you might find that unnecessarily warm/uses more gas than needed on mild days.
  • chalkysoil
    Options
    my parents liked mine so much they've bought one too. No idea about the gas consumption, never measured it.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    chalkysoil wrote: »
    Only suitable for large rooms or bad things happen.

Please elaborate!
  • chalkysoil
    Options
    Suitable for rooms greater than 64 cubic metres.
    Not enough air in small rooms or something technical like that I expect.

It also says not suitable to be used in the following locations; a bedroom, a bathroom, a shower room, a hairdressing salon, a basement or private garage. It is also not suitable to be used in a boat or leisure vehicle. If used in a family environment extra care should be taken to protect the elderly, the less able bodied, children and pets.
  • the_mariner
    Options
    I purchased a Provence stove last year from a local company Calorgas-heaters.co.uk and have no problems. I agree that the first setting is really low however the other two settings are fine. The heater looks great and the main issue, keeps me warm. Would reccomend to anyone.
  • BobbleBubble
    Options
    I recently bought a Provence Calor Gas Stove for the house. The portable heater type. It is brand new but every time we switch it on, all of the smoke detectors in the house go off. Whats up with that?
    I have let it run for a good hour and even taken the front bit off, as per the maintenance manual, and hoovered everything. It looks spotless with no build up of dust or anything.

It seems a bit silly for me to go round disconnecting all of my smoke alarms every time I use the stove. Does anyone have any ideas how I may be able to fix this problem?

and a quick p.s. - the heater came supplied without a control ignition knob. I called the sellers who said they would send a replacement out....it has been a week and still not arrived. in the end I have had to make my own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure