Make money from your Smart Phone

Options
Hey everyone,

Saw this and thought it was an easy way to make money.

If you have a smartphone, these guys will pay you to install some software which monitors your usage. I'm using it now and it doesn't interfere with your usage at all. All it does according to the website is send back info on what you browse on the internet.

When you install the software, they pay you £15 straight up, and then £5 every month after that. I also noticed it's on Quidco now, so you can pick up another £11.50 straight away (or £15.50 if you're female)

Here's the quidco link: http://www.quidco.com/mmetrics-ltd/

Comments

• FredTheBaddie
    Options
    Yeah. I did this and it started to constantly send international text messages until I removed the software :-s

And the only reason I noticed it was sending them was cos I had delivery reports switched on. If I hadn't it could still be sending them now :-/
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    how do you know if you have a compatible phone?
    :footie:
  • mc.peanuts
    Options
    fred: Never noticed this before but will check it out. were you getting charged for them?

Red Devil: you just go to the website and select your phone/network and it won't let you sign up unless you put in a compatible phone.
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    not compatible.
    :footie:
  • Steer
    Steer Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah. I did this and it started to constantly send international text messages until I removed the software :-s

And the only reason I noticed it was sending them was cos I had delivery reports switched on. If I hadn't it could still be sending them now :-/

Had this installed for maybe 2 years now, and its never done this with me
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    appears it sends a text to a 07624 number, which is a channel isles no. ( still a UK 44 .. but even BT have different call costs to landlines there) some networks class this as international text others don't
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • Lynnie27
    Lynnie27 Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    I think it only sends a text when it detects a change of sim though, other than that there is a small data charge as it sends information from the phone via wap.
  • mc.peanuts
    Options
    I contacted their help line just to see what was going on and this is what they said:
    The software in the participant’s device will send an SMS message to the M:Metrics server. It will first try a UK number and alternatively a US number. Equally whenever the software detects that the SIM card has been removed, it will also send an SMS message to the M:Metrics server, but in most cases the software will only send the first confirmation SMS message. So we are talking about 2 or 3 SMS messages the most and the rate for SMS is the same for national or international SMS. Additionally the software also sends around 3.5 KB of data monthly to the M:Metrics server. The charges incurred for both SMS and data upload are minimum. Most of the time the participant will not notice it as most people have some kind of data plan. But if you don’t have a data plan this will not cost more than viewing 1 page or sending an email from your phone. To see how much data has been sent from your phone, go to your profile page at http://www.mobilepanel.co.uk and login using the email address and password you provided when you originally joined the panel.

• FredTheBaddie
    Options
    These were definitely international numbers, one was +17 I think, can't remember the other.
    Haven't got my bill yet, but I can't see a way I wouldn't get charged :-s

I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't have delivery reports, they didn't appear in the sent box.

The only thing I can think of was that the download was infected with a virus. But do you want to take the risk? I removed it as soon as I could.
  • FredTheBaddie
    Options
    mc.peanuts wrote: »
    I contacted their help line just to see what was going on and this is what they said:

Mine sent about 4 or 5, and there was no mention on the website. I emailed them, it took them a week to reply and say they had identified an 'issue' with the system but never explained what it was. After that I got no reply.

And I can't check how much data has been sent from my phone as my profile status is 'INACTIVE' and has been since I signed up. :-s
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure