Housing Benefit/Council Tax query

Options
Would anyone know the answer to this...?

Family of four, two adults two kids.

Mom and Dad splitting up, relationship breakdown.

Mom is about to be made redundant, is losing her job.

Mom owns 5 bedroom house, Dad has no rights in it (trust me on that). Dad can't find a place to live. Mom says he can stay in a bedroom providing he pays towards mortgage (asks for a reasonable rent of say £40) and council tax contribution.

This is until he can find his own place. He has already been looking for weeks/months.

Question is, can Dad claim council tax and housing benefit to pay to ex in this situation?

Real situation so appreciate accurate answers even if negative.

Cheers all!
The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.

Comments

• real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    No, he can't claim for rent or council tax in this situation.
    You can't claim whilst living with a close relative (which mum wil be until divorce comes through).

Besides which, what income has dad got?
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    I can't see you being able to wangle that one if I'm honest.

A solicitor told me last year that it is complicated to live seperately and it will be even harder if he wants to claim benefits for living there!

Plus, if you are going to be relying on benefits, it will affect what you get.
  • quidsinquentin
    quidsinquentin Posts: 42,693 Forumite
    Options
    real1314 wrote: »
    No, he can't claim for rent or council tax in this situation.
    You can't claim whilst living with a close relative (which mum wil be until divorce comes through).

Besides which, what income has dad got?
    He is on incapacity benefit. To complicate matters, they are already divorced - several years ago, then got back together, now seperating again.
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
  • quidsinquentin
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »
    I can't see you being able to wangle that one if I'm honest.

A solicitor told me last year that it is complicated to live seperately and it will be even harder if he wants to claim benefits for living there!

Plus, if you are going to be relying on benefits, it will affect what you get.
    If he stays with ex-Mrs, she's asking for a contribution towards her mortgage payments. If he leaves and gets own place, he will be entitled to HB+CTB.

It would be cheaper to have him there for a while, until he gets his own place.

This is a genuine case. I know these people. They would be afraid of 'trying it on' with benefits agencies.

The problem they have, is that in Sheffield - where they are currently - the housing crisis is severe (I know, isn't it everywhere!), and as I understand it the crisis there is more severe than most places outside London. So he is finding it very difficult to get a place. Hence this proposal.

Basically, if he can't pay, he can't stay.
  • quidsinquentin
    Options
    Actually, on another point, one of the reasons he can't get a place is because of private lettings. Most of the to-let-places in Sheffield are private landlords now. Most don't want HB claimants.

The rents that he's seen start at around £350-£400 and go up. Can anyone tell me how much you can claim - using HB - towards your rent from a private landlord?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    No disrespect, but he needs to look harder. There are properties available in Sheffield. I know, I've been looking.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • quidsinquentin
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    No disrespect, but he needs to look harder.

None taken - he IS trying.
    There are properties available in Sheffield.

50+ year old male, on benefits, using HB+CTB. There are properties, most are for professional people. I've been looking too and helping him.
    I know, I've been looking.

I note looking, not finding. He's been looking since September.

They either don't take HB claimants or it's a shared house with students. But if you come across anything let me know please?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    None taken - he IS trying.

50+ year old male, on benefits, using HB+CTB. There are properties, most are for professional people. I've been looking too and helping him.

I note looking, not finding. He's been looking since September.

They either don't take HB claimants or it's a shared house with students. But if you come across anything let me know please?

If you search on Rightmove, there are 60 properties available between £300 and £400. You can have HB paid to the tenant, so unless the landlord specifically asks, you do not need to declare it.

What about this one?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • daveboy
    daveboy Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Add £375 deposit and charges in preparing the contract which agents always sting you with....so you're looking at £700+ to move into that one.
  • quidsinquentin
    Options
    You can have HB paid to the tenant, so unless the landlord specifically asks, you do not need to declare it.

Really????

Not aware of that at all! Is that legal or what? And how does that work?

Cheers BTW.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure