Options
2»

Comments

• beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cluuuuur wrote: »
    Our older rescue dog loves teddies (as long as they don't squeak). She will lie for hours and suck on them (really), never does a bit of damage to them

I have a 2 year old Pug who does this too! Ive never seen a dog suck on something like this before!!! She goes to sleep sucking on a furry donkey that she has. She is slightly deaf and Im a bit suspicious about how she was looked after before we bought her (we've had her from 8 weeks old). She really behaves as though she is insecure and this is one thing that seems to comfort her. (She's the Pug in my avatar!)
  • Charlie1986
    Options
    beachbeth wrote: »
    I have a 2 year old Pug who does this too! Ive never seen a dog suck on something like this before!!! She goes to sleep sucking on a furry donkey that she has. She is slightly deaf and Im a bit suspicious about how she was looked after before we bought her (we've had her from 8 weeks old). She really behaves as though she is insecure and this is one thing that seems to comfort her. (She's the Pug in my avatar!)

Funny you should say your pug does this as mine does exactly the same! He also sucks my fingers!
    Virgin CC=£2652, Next= [STRIKE]£102.88,[/STRIKE] Very=£475.60, Natwest=£800, Sainsburys CC=£1777.02, Lloyds CC=£498.29, Lloyds Loan= £13,946.18, Car=£4000Total = [STRIKE]£26,147.23[/STRIKE] £23,849.09:eek:
  • Busybody
    Busybody Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    My dog (who was also a rescue dog) loves his teddies, he has a toy box (like a child) and keeps them in there, he has his favourite ones!!
    He has never liked hard toys or squeaky ones. Although when he is on the field he likes to chase a ball or sticks.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ps, my dobe is also underweight.. try a food that has meat listed as the first ingriedient such as pets at home own make - rather than something like bakers which is cereal based. I also add oils and fats from the roast chicken etc to the dry food and have seen an increase in weight over 2 weeks.

Stressed dogs often drop weight, and boredom can be stressful for an active dog. I find the best meat for putting weight on a dog is lamb, so lok for lamb based foods as well.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    our 11 yr old dog has been rejuvenated since we got a puppy lat summer, partly because of the puppy company, but also becasue having to train a new dog made us go back to basics - things have really moved on.

we took both dogs to a basics obendiance class, and are using positive training methods and 2 super happy waggy dogs.
    they have loads of toys, a box to help themsevles to the front room, and I keep different ones to rotate for interest and positve reinforcement e.g. I get out the super exciting squeaky chicken as a reward, dsitraction or treat. we hadn't doena lot of clicker training, but planning to do more as they dogs are rivitted, and alert when we do. I hope to clicker train the cats too :)

I was filling the kong with value peanut butter but it made the big puppy sick, so now most use value cream cheese, and good leftovers such as ripe banana, or avocado, cubes of cheese, kibble etc.

i'd also recommend 'vetbed' - not cheap, but less expensive if you get an offcut on ebay, but they love them - really comfy thick fleece, plus it was washes and dries quickly.

we've changed the cats and dogs onto Burns complete foods, it's good stuff
    http://www.shop.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/acatalog/Food_For_Dogs.html

good luck with your doggie :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills