tax credits they want money back.

Options
In June 06 I called the T/C helpline to ask for advise on what to do as I had seen a divorce lawyer the TC advised me as neither party had left the marital home there was nothing to be done and to contact them at a later stage. I continued to receive money so thought there was no problem.

We patched things up and in July I contacted them to say we were staying together (they have no record of this call) I also contacted them In Oct 06 about a change of working hours and also mentioned that the information was incorrect as we were a couple.

On renewal I noticed I hadn't been paid and enquired why I was told our case had been closed in June 06 and they were reclaiming the money back!

I sent in a dispute stating I had always informed them of what was happening and no one and mentioned the case was closed and I had not received correspondence either. I received a reply stating that "as I was no longer living with (name of husband) I was not entitled to the money.

I wrote back to say that was not the case as we had never separated and I received a reply to day saying that as there was no new evidence they would not be looking at my case!

Is there anything I can do?

But if ever I stray from the path I follow
Take me down to the English Channel
Throw me in where the water is shallow And then drag me on back to shore!
'Cos love is free and life is cheap As long as I've got me a place to sleep
Clothes on my back and some food to eat I can't ask for anything more

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ask for a "Subject Access Request" and specifically ask for copies of all phonecalls made by you. Once you have them you can listen to them and ask for a further review of your case siting the telephone call June 06 as your new evidence.

You can also ask for copies of all notes made on your claim and all correspondence between you and TCO. If they terminated your joint claim in June 06 you should have received an award notice detailing the fact that your claim ended on that date.
  • notakid
    notakid Posts: 10,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Pam. I am sending a letter (by recorded) to ask for the above!
    But if ever I stray from the path I follow
    Take me down to the English Channel
    Throw me in where the water is shallow And then drag me on back to shore!
    'Cos love is free and life is cheap As long as I've got me a place to sleep
    Clothes on my back and some food to eat I can't ask for anything more
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family