Beware of Dell Finance

Options

Comments

• Millionaire
    Options
    I purchased a Dell on a 12 Month Interest Free option about 2 years ago.

The paperwork that Dell finance sent had the full breakdown of all the charges and interest calculations.
  • 5limJim
    5limJim Posts: 422 Forumite
    Options
    can anyone point me to a number for the Dell Financial department, I want to pay the Laptop off before the end of the agreement and have been unable to locate a number to call...
    £4988 Lloyds TSB Mastercard
    £400 O/D Lloyds TSB
    £2650 Lloyds TSB Loan
    £5070 Black Horse Finance

Skint, but I have a plan.... an MSE Plan!!!
  • 5limJim
    5limJim Posts: 422 Forumite
    Options
    hi all, sorry to be dragging up this old topic, but does anyone actually have the phone number for Dell Finance. I found it a while ago but have since lost it and reallty want to get this paisd off before my next payment is due

EDIT: Forgot to consult the bible of telephone numbers
    http://www.saynoto0870.co.uk/companysearch.php
    £4988 Lloyds TSB Mastercard
    £400 O/D Lloyds TSB
    £2650 Lloyds TSB Loan
    £5070 Black Horse Finance

Skint, but I have a plan.... an MSE Plan!!!
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Options
    Spam by idin reported
  • Jareth64
    Options
    I too have had a bad experience with Dell Finance. I signed up to one of their "Buy now, pay a year later" deals. The signup process was very odd, having to switch between windows during credit check, very little info indicating you're actually signing up to that particular deal... it seemed like they'd over complicated it to confuse people. After I finished signing up it said my credit check had been approved and signup was complete. But it never asked for my card details. 10 minutes later I received an e-mail asking me to go to a payment page to enter my card details... there was no link to this page in said e-mail and it was very difficult to find it on the Dell website.

It seems to me they purposely made signup complicated to confuse people, already alarm bells were rining. Upon entering my card details I received a very poorly written e-mail from a man called Ramana Kuma asking me to sign an agreement and fax it over to him. I couldn't get to a fax machine on the day and he sent 5 more e-mails and 2 phone calls nagging me to send it over...! :eek:

When I got around to reading the agreement in order to fax it over, I saw it WASN'T the "buy now, pay a year later" option, but a £10 a month payment over 3 years or so with a £50 upcharge payment... :mad: When I phoned him up to query this he said I wasn't approved for the "buy now, pay a year later." Why it didn't say this when I signed up (at least in one of his e-mails) I don't know.

The whole thing just seemed overly complicated, massively unprofessional and very shady. It seemed like the service you'd expect from an obscure catalog based laptop provider or something, not one with a good reputation like Dell. Needless to say, I cancelled the order. If I'm gonna do a pay monthly thing on my Dell I'd sooner do it through Currys or PC World.
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    i fix computers and dell are very reliable and are a good product for the price...there will always be a bad one in a batch...
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • carolined_3
    Options
    Hi

I'm afraid I can't help you, except to say that something similar happened to me. Anyone else out there STEER CLEAR OF DELL FINANCE !!!

I applied for a computer on the buy now pay next year with 0% interest scheme. However, they advised me that my credit score wasn't high enough to avail of this deal, but they could offer me a low rate payback £10 per month for the first year. Sounded good to me, so I signed up. 12 months later I contacted Dell Finance to settle the balance (which I expected to be £580) Only to be told that the settlement figure was £735 !!!!! When I questioned it I was told that I was on a low payback agreement ..... but a high interest rate was being charged over the 12 months. I argued that this was certainly not what I agreed to, but was told I would have to go back to Dell, and since I had signed a contract it would be very difficult to claim money back.

I've just paid the balance and never again will I be sucked into a buy now pay later scheme, and especially not with Dell.

Since I'd signed
  • graeme_was_here
    Options
    Sounds like you had a bad time with dell.
    Despite this i had a laptop with dell and in the two years i was a user for it i had excellent customer service. I got the extended warranty and every time my laptp broke down they fixed it no problem even when my initial warranty ran out and i went for three months with no cover they fixed my screen and dvd drive even when i had no warranty.
    I would still avoid the finance like to be honest
  • fryster2006
    fryster2006 Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I've had problems trying to get hold of dell finance just to change my direct debit details, eventually I found the correct number which puts you through to someone in Ireland:

0870 907 4173

Hope this helps someone
  • KarinJW
    Options
    I wish I'd read this before buying my Dell last month. On the phone I was approved for the 'buy now pay in 12 months' agreement and the paperwork was faxed through the next day. I was told that if I didn't pay in the 12 months I'd go onto a 3 year interest payment which is what I thought I was signing for. A few days later I got a letter from Dell finance saying my first payment of £19 would come out in a month so I rang them and they said this kind of thing had happened before and that because I'd signed the contract I'd have problems getting out of it. I'm going to try to pay for the laptop in full rather than paying monthly.

I'm not happy and won't be buying directly from Dell again. Their laptops are great but they're let down by their finance and I may go to BBC's Watchdog.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure