Rewire Quote (West Midlands)

Options
I have a house that needs a rewire. I have been quoted £30 per socket/switch and £200 for the box. The quote worked out at 2k (2 bed terrace) including supply for electric shower and certificate. We would be providing switches and sockets. I have made appointments and they don't turn up or if they do they haven't sent me a quote. So I have only got one quote and I don't know if this reasonable.

The house needs quite a bit of work : plastering (skimming), electrics, new radiators fitting, tiles adjusted on low side roof, bathroom installation. Would it work if I got one person/company to do all the work? I am assuming that all the rules and regulations would mean that was unlikely unless I 'paid through the nose' for the privilege. I would appreciate some advice. I don't want to pay the earth as the budget is tight but realised that if you pay cowboy prices you get a cowboy job.

Are all the decent individuals/companies normally booked up for the next few months?

Comments

• debbie42
    debbie42 Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    I had cowboy electricians (recommended by the builder!) and it was a nightmare.
    Who was the quote from? A neighbour of mine had the MEB do hers a few years back and they were very tidy.

I can maybe recommend a plasterer and roofer, depending on your specific area: send me a message.
    Debbie
  • angel00079
    Options
    debbie42 wrote: »
    I had cowboy electricians (recommended by the builder!) and it was a nightmare.
    Who was the quote from? A neighbour of mine had the MEB do hers a few years back and they were very tidy.

I can maybe recommend a plasterer and roofer, depending on your specific area: send me a message.

I can't remember the name of the company I will have to check when I get back home.
  • jedk
    jedk Posts: 443 Forumite
    Options
    Get more quotes . Even if it seems like a loads of hassle - it's less hassle than getting robbed .
  • nalyo
    nalyo Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    get a few quotes as suggested by jedk and you should find they are all within 10% or so of each other and then be prepared to pay the extra 10% to a reliable person........peace of mind this way ----sometimes???!!! (:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure