New Benefit to Replace IB - over 60?

Options
My husband has been receiving IB since 2004. I read that the new Benefit due to start in October 2008 would be for new claimants initally, but then would move on later to those claiming IB since 2003.

In the article I read, it also mentioned that those aged 55-59 would be expected to take part the Over 25 New Deal.

My question is; in January 2009 my husband will be 60. I assume that the new Benefit will not affect him before then. What is going to happen to people his age on IB?

Thanks
(AKA HRH_MUngo)
Member #10 of £2 savers club
Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton

Comments

• Fleago
    Fleago Posts: 1,185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Seven Day Weekend,

Everything I've seen on the new Benefit is still very vague about when people currently on IB will migrate over to it and I haven't seen anything that outlines what the situation will be for someone aged 60+.

If you google "Employment and Support Allowance" and check the button for pages from the UK only, a lot of hits will come up from various organisations that outline what is currently known about how this new Benefit will work.

Sorry I couldn't give you a more definite answer, but hope the above helps a bit. :)

Fleago
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Thanks Fleago, I'll do that - I couldn't remember what the new Benefit was called!

I will post here if I find anything useful.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Fleago
    Options
    You're welcome, SDW. :) "Employment and Support Allowance" doesn't really trip off the tongue easily or stick in one's mind! I've had trouble myself remembering what it's called!
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    My husband has been receiving IB since 2004. I read that the new Benefit due to start in October 2008 would be for new claimants initally, but then would move on later to those claiming IB since 2003.

In the article I read, it also mentioned that those aged 55-59 would be expected to take part the Over 25 New Deal.

My question is; in January 2009 my husband will be 60. I assume that the new Benefit will not affect him before then. What is going to happen to people his age on IB?

Thanks

I have not read of the ESA being applied to those claiming IB since 2003, can I ask where you saw this? I have read that it will apply first to the under 25 from 2009.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Sorry Healy, it was some time ago when I read it and I can't now remember where I saw it.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • Fleago
    Options
    Hi Healy,

My understanding is that it is still scheduled to come in as of October this year and it will initially apply to all new claimants.

Fleago
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Fleago wrote: »
    Hi Healy,

My understanding is that it is still scheduled to come in as of October this year and it will initially apply to all new claimants.

Fleago

Yes that is correct, I was talking about who it will apply to after new claimants.
  • Fleago
    Options
    Oops, sorry Healy, should have read your post properly! :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts