We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Well Rotted Horse Manure

Options
Can any one please tell me how long it takes for horse manure to become "well rotted"? I picked up some about 6 weeks ago, but left it in the bags until two weeks ago when I piled it up in the front garden. I still looks the same so how do I know it's ok to did in my new veg patch. I am hoping to plant up my seedlings from February, is it too late now? Thank you. SG

Comments

• upferret
    upferret Posts: 691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, its well rotted when its black and resembles peat. On our muck heap you have to dig down a bit to get to "the good stuff" I dont know how long its been there but a good few months I reckon. If you live neat to me you can have literally tonnes of the stuff!
    November £10 a day challenge. Im starting early- 66p so far!
  • sunset_gold
    Options
    Thanks for that upferret, guess I won't be using it this year then! Also thanks for the offer, but have free manure everywhere here too, just it's all very fresh, will have to start collecting it and making a rather large heap in the back garden instead. Next job now is to construct something to keep it in or rather to keep the three labradors out of it, it would be heaven for them! Any suggestions? SG
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have 2 muckheaps. One is the freshest stuff - which is heavy and "fresh" the second is much older and this is what goes on gardens etc. It is fabulous stuff! Really well rotted & great for your gardens.

We give loads away to friends & allotments holders too.
  • susieb
    susieb Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just add it fresh to my compost bin
    Always on the hunt for a bargain
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We'd need darned big bins to put all our horsemuck in!!:rotfl: But I see what you mean ..... yes, some friends I give it to have also used that.

Some people call it "black gold" because it is such great stuff. I reckon it takes at least 6 months to rot down. Up to a year.

I was in a hurry one day and thought some "box" bushes I had in tubs could do with perking up .... so I took some muck from the "fresh" heap and added it to the old soil on the tops of the tubs. Within a week they were ruined! Turned yellow and all the leaves dropped off. An expensive lesson because they cost about £25 each.
  • Can any one please tell me how long it takes for horse manure to become "well rotted"?

I'd reckon 6 months or longer - depends on how much muck, straw and shavings is in it, not to mention temperature.

If you've got more than you need for compost and a reasonable amount of land, you could spread it and when the weather gets dry enough rotavate it well in. Keep it clear of tree trunks etc or it will burn them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure