We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Sprouted birdseeds

Options
I put a large amount of birdseed out on the table last Sunday. Since then it has been very windy (so much it blew my bird table over) and raining loads. Today is the first sunny/dry day so I decided to take a look at the damage in the garden. The bird table can be fixed however all the bird seed has been spread across my garden and all the seeds has sprouted and they are everywhere.
I swept up as much as i can, but there are still loads out on the lawn and around my plants.
Not 100% sure what kind of birdseeds they are either since I'm new to all this. Bought a mix at the pet shop, I recognize sunflower seeds, red millet, corn, peanuts, and then some grayish seeds that I think were supposed to attract greenfinks. Will the seeds grow into something worth saving (besides sunflowers) or is it just "weed" that should be removed?:o

Comments

• prettypennies
    Options
    Mine have actually sprouted on the birdtable. It it looks like a mini lawn!!!
    Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!:j:j
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    Last year I found small hemp plantlets :eek: growing in the gravel underneath my bird feeder!
    :wave:
  • alm721
    alm721 Posts: 727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Last year I found small hemp plantlets :eek: growing in the gravel underneath my bird feeder!

We had the same only my next door neighbour decided it would be a good idea to let them grow and then dry them out and smoke them. He did dry then in the oven and attempt to smoke although Im nbot sure what they turned out like as he never really said!
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    From what I understand it's the wrong variety (to smoke) that grows from bird seed (just as well, you could get into a lot of trouble :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: )
    :wave:
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    mine have sprouted too, the bird feeder looks like a mini version bill oddies beard.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bird seed does sprout because it consists of seeds!
    The link below No.9 on the list is non sprouting, but its not cheap.

http://www.wildbirdfood.uk.com/acatalog/Seed_Mixtures.html
  • a11waysindebt
    Options
    I think the seed you need to grow, then smoke is about a £10.00 a packet.
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    What would it do to the seed if you baked it to stop it germinating?
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • emmahip
    emmahip Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    greenpixey wrote: »
    some grayish seeds that I think were supposed to attract greenfinks.

Not sure about the seeds but I'd love to hear more about greenfinks!;)

If you mean greenfinches the stuff they normally go for, apart from peanuts, is Niger or Thistle seed and it's small and black. I have some growing in a wild part of my garden but wouldn't recommend it for your lawn!!!

In my experience the only seeds that really last after sprouting are grass seeds so no worries there if they're in the lawn but pesky if not.

I tend to avoid seed altogether now as it seems that whatever mix I get some wise @ss little bird takes a dislike to something and throws it out. With peanuts, fat balls, sunflower and niger seeds as well as odd bits of crust etc I've seen over 30 types of bird in my garden since moving in in August last year.
    (I am in the sticks tho :D )

Don't forget to take part in the RSPB survey at the weekend :
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/index.asp
    comping since august 2007, wins so far.....none! :rotfl:
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The greenfinches go mad for the peanuts we have out... but most of our birds completely ignore the seed.

The greenfinches come in as a gang of 4-5. They all try to get on the feeder, but fight each other to try to get exclusive feeding rights!
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure