We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

I might just be lazy, but any advice welcome!

Options
Hello

We have a medium-sized garden which we took out a concrete path and some 'crazy' paving in the autumn, which took up about half the garden, lenghtways. We are now left with some small stone chippings and part of it having a plastic sheeting underneath, but there are some weeds growing through it - not many, but some.

The other half of the garden is mostly lawn, but is not great quality and has more levels than the Himalayas.

Whilst we want to grow some herbs, fruit and veg we'd like to keep it relatively simple this year. Ideally I need to get the ground sorted first and made 'family friendly' first - we have a new addition arriving in late May. Therefore I need to get it all sorted by then anyway!

Is it worth me hiring a rotavator, which seems quite expensive? If so, is there a particular type I would be looking for?

What should I be doing first?

I think I need to level out the ground and get all the rubbish out of it and then get some top-soil before putting down some turf and gravel?

Can someone give me a list of things I probably need to do - or look out for? Any particular suppliers as well?

Thanks for your help - I am keen, but a little lazy and really just need to know where to start!
Now - :confused:
Saturday - :j
Sunday - :beer:

Comments

• jellymid
    jellymid Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How about hiring a turf stripper. This will take the old turf off and you can also use it to reduce any higher areas - to level them out in effect. Then if you need to put down topsoil you can use it to finish off levelling the area. I think they cost about £40 to hire for a day - that should be long enough.
    For the veggie patch, if you can turn the area over now with a spade (if it's not too waterlogged!) then any frost we have will help to break it down.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Draw a plan first of what you want where.

fruit veg and herbs should get as much sun as poss. If it ends up in the area that has had paving on it then the soil will need to be improved unless you are making raised beds. Link to starting veg prep and growing.
    http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/property/gardens/article1602890.ece

Are you sure that the lawn is not worth saving? turf is expensive.
    I would get a good sharp spade cut out the turf that is higher remover some soil and relay it. useful link for renovating a lawn.
    http://www.greenfingers.com/articledisplay.asp?id=264

A new lawn takes a lot of looking after, shouldn't be used until it has established, must not dry out etc. With a small person due it would be a lot to take on.

Happy gardening
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport