PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bread too dry for sandwiches

Options
13»

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmmm - I can see what I'm going to ask for , for my birthday....diamonds, clothes, perfume? Nah - a decent breadmaker. Today's effort smells lovely, but it's only about 3 inches high:(

Now, given that I'm turning Old Style in a big way, I reckon I'll use it. After all, my slow cooker was used, oh, 12 times in the 18-20 years I had it before I came on here :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Next bread, try the longest program (usually the wholewheat one) and see how that does. :)

If that doesn't work there's a tip in the Breadmaker Index about how to avoid solid bread.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Now squeaky, don't ruin my idea for a birthday pressie - i don't usually get much, if anything at all! Given we are away on my birthday (again) and I didn't get anything at all last year cos we were in France, I've already broached the subject over tea. Mr TM didn't actually say a lot - he was filling his face with parmesan and tomato bread and the mushroom soup :D (What this roughly translates to, is that if i want one, I'll just save up and get myself one :D)
  • kazd
    kazd Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Options
    I did loads of research before buying my breadmaker and this one came out tops. My mum had a cheap one that died and she bought this one as well and loves it, says its much better than her old one.

Have had mine a year at the end of Aug and have only bought two loaves since then (and they were like cardboard - freshly baked from Tesco as well). Will never go back to shop bought.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008WFDI/qid%3D1120583331/026-4337837-1219648
    £2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now squeaky, don't ruin my idea for a birthday pressie - i don't usually get much, if anything at all! Given we are away on my birthday (again) and I didn't get anything at all last year cos we were in France, I've already broached the subject over tea. Mr TM didn't actually say a lot - he was filling his face with parmesan and tomato bread and the mushroom soup :D (What this roughly translates to, is that if i want one, I'll just save up and get myself one :D)
    Put him on stale bread and water for a month. Then ask him if he'd like some NICE bread for a change :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ember999
    Ember999 Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pal wrote:
    Forget sandwiches. Make bread and butter pudding with the slightly stale bread.

That sounds delicious! Brings back memories of when i was a kid, my gran used to make it for me. Sadly, I have no idea how to make it. Would you be kind enough to give me the recipe as I sure would like to go down memory lane for a trip with that bread & butter pudding again :D

Plus, I can use up any spare bread from the loaf currently baking in my bread maker :T
    ~What you send out comes back to thee thricefold!~
    ~
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's one by Saint Delia that if you leave the marmalde out is otherwise pretty traditional.

Bread and Butter Pudding
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    For bread & butter pudding I would pretty much stick to delia's recipe, but miss out the marmalade and zest, add another couple of egg yolks and a bit more double cream to the sauce along with some vanilla extract. Then I would put some seasonal fruit between the bread slices e.g. plumbs, rhubarb, tayberries, rasberries etc. Orange slices might even work. Raisins or saltanas are a bit more traditional.

In the end all you are doing is taking buttered bread and adding custard and any fruit you like to it before baking until it looks cooked. A real easy pudding to experiment with.
  • bethscott1970
    Options
    MY children love soaking the left over bread in 1/2 pint milk and 2 beaten eggs. They usually get their hands in and mix it to a thick paste, stir in sultanas and press into a cake tin. Shoved in the oven for about 45 minutes and cut into wedges for their lunchboxes.

Looks gross but they like it ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport