Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Sick dog!

Got a rather sick OES at my feet at the moment.
He had been very sick yesterday so wasn't fed, and I didn't feed him this morning, thinking I would leave him until tonight. He was fine on his walk this morning - lively and running about as usual.

got home from work, he's been sick again - not much , but then there can't be much left in his stomach. (Sorry if you've just had your tea before reading this!)

He is usually keen to go out when I get back, but he wasn't that keen tonight.
If he is still sick tomorrow I'll obviously call the vet. My dilemma is whether to feed him now or not - I was planning to give him some scrambled egg but not sure I should now? On the one hand he might bring it up again, on the other he now hasn't eaten since yesterday morning, and must have brought all of that up by now.

And he's looking heart breakingly sad! OES do have delicate tummies, so he has been sick before, but not nearly as bad as this.

Replies

• If you are worried (as it sounds you are) I would recommend a visit to your vets or local PDSA. I don't have any suggestions other than that.. You know your dog, and if it feels to you as though it isnt right, then get it looked at. Sure, it may be nothing and you'll have peace of mind, but if it IS something, then you need to nip it in the bud.
    I Reject your reality and substitute my own.

When life gives you lemons, throw em back and say you want CASH instead!

• cazziebocazziebo Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Phoenixx73 wrote: »
    If you are worried (as it sounds you are) I would recommend a visit to your vets or local PDSA. I don't have any suggestions other than that.. You know your dog, and if it feels to you as though it isnt right, then get it looked at. Sure, it may be nothing and you'll have peace of mind, but if it IS something, then you need to nip it in the bud.

Thanks - I will call the vets tomorrow if there isn't an improvement. I'm just worried about whether or not to feed him tonight..(And I used up all the cloths in the house cleaning up yesterday! Not very mse but I threw them out rather than wash them..)
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    29.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I wouldn't feed him if I were you - last time mine had the lurg the vet advised to starve her for 48 hours (which I have to be honest made me feel terrible, coz she was acting like her throat had been cut.) Make sure he's got plenty of water (which I'm sure you've already thought of), and give the vet a ring if you need to.
    Hope he's better soon.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • pboaepboae Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    I wouldn't feed either, if it's just a bug, missing another meal won't do any harm, but if it's something serious like a blockage, then feeding could make it worse.
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • cluuuuurcluuuuur Forumite
    188 Posts
    I'd starve until the sickness has stopped - as pboae said, if there's a blockage it might make things worse. Missing meals for 48 hours won't cause any harm - in the wild dogs can often go for a couple of days without eating and, whilst he's used to eating daily (and will definitely make you feel bad about how staaaaaaaaaarving he is) it'll give him a good chance to get over a bug, which is hopefully all it is. I'd keep offering small amounts of water though to ensure he's well hydrated.

We usually starve our dogs after any bout of sickness just in case, and then once it's passed go for a light meal, like scrambled egg or cooked, plain chicken.
    "outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx
  • It's kinder, probably not to feed your dog today anyway if he's just going to honk it back up again.
    When you think he's over the worst just offer him small meals of plain boiled rice and a little chicken or white fish (not oily fish). Rice is very digestable for them.
    :wave:
  • cazziebocazziebo Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Thanks everyone -really appreciate your responses.

He perked up yesterday but I made an appointment at the vets anyway. He seemed back to normal so I gave him some scrambled eggs but been up all night as vomited it all back up again.

Vet says he has a temperature so he's got some anti-biotics and and antacids. vet said to feed him little and often but he's not that interested in food just now. suppose it will take a few days..He's lying sleeping now.

Can't remember being this worried when it was the children who were ill!

Thanks again everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals