We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Spring bulbs sprouting!

Options
~Chameleon~
~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker
How is everyone else doing with their spring bulbs?

I've had crocuses flowering for a week now and daffs are standing tall and proud, but no sign of flowers yet. The tulips I put in the ground just a month or so ago are starting to poke through already!!! :eek:

Oh, almost forgot the irises which I first spotted sprouting last month are now a mass of green foliage but, again, no sign of flowers yet. I'm sure they shouldn't even be coming up yet though :confused:

I'm sure everything's getting earlier and earlier every year!
“You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

Comments

• robp
    robp Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    Our Tulips have around 5" of leaf showing now. No flowers yet, though I'm sure they won't be too long coming.
  • linzibean
    linzibean Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    We posted our spring bulbs rather late, they had started sprouting in the bag :o but they are showing themselves now, little tiny shoots - early yes, but it is a very mild january! Near my in-laws in South Wales, the crocuses have been in flower since November :eek:
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Options
    All my bulbs are sprouting up in the garden and the pots.Having said that I don't know what is going on as depite the frost we have had my geraniums ,nasturtiums and marigolds are all still blooming madly.It's the first time ever my geraniums have lasted through the winter and we live on the north east coast.Still if they survive it will save me having to replace them.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have some snowdrops peeping through but was amazed to visit Sussex at the end of December and see daffodils in full flower in somebody's front garden.
  • In_for_a_Bargain
    Options
    I actually have a daffodil (just 1)out in full flower and it has been like that for a week. I have actually cut it off and put it in the house in water though as it is getting bashed by wind.
    If practice makes perfect, and nobody is perfect....................................
    Why practice!:T
  • Daz1
    Daz1 Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Being winter, the grass hasn't grown much and therefore the lawnmower has been tucked away for a while. Looking around the garden, there are clumps of green "shoots" coming up at various places in the lawn. I can only describe them as resembling the leaves on spring onions. Are these "bulbs"??? There are no flowers yet though?
  • Jack's_mummy
    Options
    They could be Daz. Leave them and see.

We only just have the tips of the bulbs coming up but we have had a few really hard frosts in the last month
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yep my snowdrops are out, I have several types of daffs, the earlys are ready to pop open in the next few weeks and all the others are growing nicely.
    Irisis gowing strong and so are the tulips.

There is also something else growing, cant remember what they were, but guess I will know soon.

Remember to take note of any gaps that need filling for next time.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ohhh I can't wait for my daffs to start flowering now some of you have mentioned yours have already! :j

It's so lovely to see things springing into life especially after the dull, dank miserable month we've had so far. I'm dying to get out in the garden and feel the sun on my skin again and watch everything slowly come into bloom :D
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • piglet29
    piglet29 Posts: 6,214 Forumite
    Options
    my winter jasmine has been in flower since before christmas- it usually flowers late jan/early feb!!!!!!!! i have never seen it out this early:confused:
    A freebie a day sends a smile my way!
    Night Owl member No 9 :kisses2:
    I Started out with nothing.....still have most of it left:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills