DLA query

Options
I have a doctor coming to see me regarding my dla claim.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Feeling a bit stressed and worried by the visit and questions.
Have you got a job yet? :think:

NO? Then :shhh:

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes quite normal, no need to be stressed. They are just there to assess the person, no need for worry as long as there is no lies told at the visit and that the findings are the same as those needs stated on the forms. Most is very straight forward questions and physical tests/examination.

Some info on here
    Having someone with you

Having a friend, relative, carer or support worker with you can make it much easier to deal with difficult situations, it can also provide you with a witness to what happened at the medical. If possible, tell the DWP that you intend to have someone with you, but don’t worry if you don’t have chance to inform them. If the doctor arrives early, before your friend or relative has arrived, ask them politely to come back at the agreed time. If the doctor arrives late, after your friend or relative has left, tell them politely that they will have to arrange another appointment so that your friend or relative can be present. The medical, and the medical report itself, are divided into two parts.
    Part 1 of the medical

The doctor should begin by taking a statement from you. This is supposed to be a statement of your needs in your own words.
    If possible, read through your photocopy of the DLA form and refresh your memory before the doctor arrives. Beware of leading questions like ‘You don’t have any trouble with … do you?’, or ‘You can manage … can’t you?’. Try not to be persuaded, or feel pressured, into giving an answer that isn’t correct. If you do have problems with an activity, or can’t manage it at all, say so and explain why. The doctor should write down what you tell him/her and then either read the statement back to you or give it to you to read. You then sign to say that you agree with what has been written. Do not sign unless you are completely happy with what is written.
    Remember, this is a signed statement saying what your problems are. If it differs from what you’ve written in your claim pack it may be used by the DWP as grounds for refusing your claim. If you need to read the statement, or have it read to you, two or three times in order to check it fully then do so. Don’t be hurried, the doctor is being well paid for visiting you. If there is anything you disagree with, ask the doctor to change it. If there is anything missing, ask the doctor to put it in. Carry on until you are completely happy with the statement. If the doctor won’t write what you ask then politely refuse to sign, but still co-operate in every other respect with the medical. If the doctor tells you that you must sign or your claim will fail tell him/her politely that s/he is mistaken. If the doctor says s/he’s running out of time and has to be somewhere else, politely suggest that s/he arranges a further appointment to come back and finish the medical. But whatever you do, don’t sign until you’re satisfied. We do understand how difficult disagreeing with a doctor can be. That is why we strongly recommend you have someone with you to give you support.
    Part 2 of the medical

In the second part of the medical the doctor will ask you more questions and, if you also have physical health problems, may carry out a brief physical examination and ask you to perform simple activities such as standing up and walking across the room
    The doctor then fills out his/her own report stating what, in his/her opinion, your needs are. This is the doctor’s part of the report, s/he is entirely free to disagree with everything you have said and does not show you what s/he has written. (Though you will receive a copy of the whole report if you appeal against the decision in your case).In the downloadable DLA guides you will find a Medical Visit Record Sheet for you to record what happened at the medical. Look through it before you have your medical and fill it in afterwards, if you want to have a record of what happened. Remember to make a note of the time the doctor arrived and left: if s/he stays only a short time you can use this as evidence that the report is less likely to be reliable.
    We don’t want to leave you feeling terrified about having a visit from a DWP doctor. But many people say they had no idea what to expect before they had their medical and that they were very disappointed with how quick and irrelevant the whole thing seemed to be. We also know that very many DLA claims are turned down because of the visiting doctor’s report. By being properly prepared for your medical you can reduce the chances of this happening to you.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes is is common for a Doctor to visit those that make a claim for DLA. They will be there to see if you have any care or mobility needs or NOT.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello Lil, What you have quoted used to be correct but now they do not ask claimants to read and sign a statement, it changed last year.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, the doctor visit is perfectly normal.

I was a bit apprehensive at first, but the doctor was lovely.

Try not to worry.

Pipkin xxxx
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ah right, well zap that bit out. Didn't know they'd stopped that part but I haven't known anyone who has had a medical for a while, been ages since I sat in on one as support. One of my old neighbours was a doctor who used to do DLA medicals, he's lovely.
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • weymuffred
    weymuffred Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    I didnt make a copy of the form, do you think they might send out a copy by email or fax as the appointment is monday?

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    You would need to phone them and ask.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They will probably ask why you would need a copy of it, you'll just be answering the same things again which if you were honest you will provide the same answers to the same questions. Post from the DLA section usually takes about a week to get through.
  • DenBo_4
    DenBo_4 Posts: 536 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure they won't ask why you need a copy, but they may change the date of the doctor's visit to enable you to get a copy from them in time.

Weymuffred, you must ALWAYS take a copy of any official form you send off, put it somewhere safe and keep it till needed. It might be a nuisance but it helps in the future regarding queries etc.

Good luck with your claim, I hope you are successfull.
  • weymuffred
    weymuffred Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    so had my appointmnt, doc seemed really nice.
    What happens now? timescale etc, when should I get the decision?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family