We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Poorly Hard Drive

Options
I have tried geting advice elsewhere without success so here goes on MSE...

My IDE Hard Drive got damaged when I was pulling out the IDE cable and now 1 of the pins on the HD has been pushed into it's case.

Does anyone know if this problem is easy to repair?

The HD is unusable now - as the PC won't recognise that it's installed. But it has so much data on there I would really like to get it working rather than buy a new empty drive.

Comments

• woo
    woo Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    not sure if this is fixable - you might have to send it off to a data recovery company
    Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
  • djnield
    djnield Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that....I was kinda suspecting it wouldn't be an easy solution.

I suppose I now have to decide if the price of my data is more important than the £40 it is gonna cost to get a new drive.

Many thanks
  • durain
    durain Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    if the pin is only bended into the case, you can slowly bend it up (use small screwdriver, etc) and then plug in the IDE cable. but if the pin is snapped off, then i dont know!
  • StockportGerbil
    Options
    Hi!
    Data recovery companies charge the earth and are very much a last resort for data that is 'priceless'. If the pin is merely bent then you should be able to bend it back with a screwdriver. If the pin is pushed through you may be able to push it back with the screwdriver.

Good luck!
  • blinky
    blinky Posts: 1,684 Forumite
    Options
    If the pin isn't recoverable then one possibility is to get hold of one of the same model and transplant the PCB. They normally just connect via a ribbon cable. It would be the same approach that a recovery company would use but would charge you a small fortune for.
    Hug provider for depression thread :grouphug:
    "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.." - Unwell by Matchbox Twenty
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Options
    or you could try a botchit job. if you have an old floppy or other hard drive remove a pin and push it slightly into the relevent hole. 'hopefully' when you connect the IDE cable again there's a chance it will touch the other pin and pass the signal through.
    There's no 100% chance it'll work but it's not going to kill you to try.
  • djnield
    djnield Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies. As you can see from the delay... I haven't been online in a while.

In the end I got a new HD, as it happens exact same model, but only just seen the message from blinky.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport