We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Horrible smell (cat pee?)

Options
Hope this is relevant for this forum!

My front porch is frequently full of leaves, and I hadn't bothered to sweep them out for a while. The other day I noticed a really vile smell, seemingly coming from the pile of leaves. I swept them away, and bleached the concrete paving on the porch.

One day later, and the smell is still there, if not worse. I think it smells like cat pee, but I have never seen a cat anywhere near my house. Wouldn't have thought so, but do decomposing leaves smell similar?

Any idea how to get rid of this smell, or what it could be?

Thanks!

Comments

• fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    good ol' bicarb of soda and vinegar?
    Give blood - its free
  • free-range
    Options
    Not sure how to get rid of smell, other than a good dose of disinfectant perhaps?

To stop cats coming back (if that is the cause of the pong) sprinkle some chilli powder on the floor, cats sniff before they pee and they won't pee in your porch with a nose full of chilli powder... :) It worked for me!
    Debt @ LBM - 15th Dec 07 = £33,223 / 9 weeks on = £32,130 (over 1k paid off)
    Official DFW Member # 848. Proud to be dealing with my debts :j
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Definitely disinfect first, then either chilli powder or if they keep coming back, you can get lion poo pellets [yes, you can], that they won't go near. But on a porch - chilli powder is the best bet for now.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    It's a protein stain (if its cat pee), so it needs a bio washing powder to clean it, then disinfect ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    free-range wrote: »
    ... sprinkle some chilli powder on the floor, ... :) It worked for me!
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

So, now I know, if you plan to visit and get caught short ... I'll dowse my home in chilli powder to prevent you from pee'ing in inappropriate places ;):D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • bina72
    bina72 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add - if it is due to cats definitely DON'T use bleach. The ammonia in it actually attracts them, they see it as another cat marking their territory so then they feel the need to 're-decorate'! :D
  • Busybody
    Busybody Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    :T Give it a good soapy/disinfectant clean, and then put a dish/open jar of vinegar in there, it will take up the stink and after a few days just throw the vinegar away.:T
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Possibly foxes - it's their mating season.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport