mobile phone insurance

Options
i'm sorry if this should have been posted in the old telephones... section. wasn't quite sure. basically i need some simple advice on whether to go for it or not. i'l try and be brief:
i am to buy the SE k700 worth around £200. i have never lost a phone, but have come close once or twice.
i use my phone a lot in public areas such as on buses and on the streets.

so, obviously there's the possible need for insurance here, but would you recommend the network-provided insurance (i will be with o2)? for loss cover it seems relatively reasonable, but has anyone experienced any real problems when it comes to actually making a claim? i dont want to pay, have it stolen when i leave it on some table somewhere, and then be told it breaches some invisible t&c rule.
also, i realise this is vague, but does anyone know whether home insurance, when you get the personal possessions cover to cover things like your phone, whether they generally cover loss? i'm with cornhill, and i realise i should contact them about it but have no time as i need to order it today.
finally, and most importantly if i order the phone from o2 online, and not the insurance, and then decide a week/month down the line that i actually want the o2 cover, does anybody know whether this would be possible?

thank you very much in advance for any help you could offer.
cc

Comments

• vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't waste your £$£$ on extra insurance - unless you're a builder or someone who is likley to damge/drop/loose the phone.

Your home contents policy will have a section for 'posessions away from home' but you'll also have to pay first £50 / £100 of any claim, so again don't bother. If you did claim - you can bet an increase in premiums next year!!

Save the £7 / month or whatever it is, premium towards your next phone - the new one will be out of date by the week after next, anyway!!

VB
  • thank you :)
    it's very true, would probably be a waste of money, but it's £60 a year, and knowing my luck i'll go and lose it one week into my contract, so i just dont know.
    however, i've since ordered the phone without the insurance, and i'll see how secure i feel over the next week or two..
    thanks for the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport