We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Three drowned mice

Options
We feed wild birds and have a couple of trays on the window sills. Seed is blown off and birds knock it off. We also have various pots of shrubs in the same area.
Two deep containers had stood empty for a few weeks and collected water. Yesterday I saw that three mice were floating. I assume they fallen off plants and had a watery demise. But, I'd have thought they would have been in hibernation by now.

Comments

• oojeyboojey
    Options
    islandman wrote: »
    We feed wild birds and have a couple of trays on the window sills. Seed is blown off and birds knock it off. We also have various pots of shrubs in the same area.
    Two deep containers had stood empty for a few weeks and collected water. Yesterday I saw that three mice were floating. I assume they fallen off plants and had a watery demise. But, I'd have thought they would have been in hibernation by now.

Well, mice don't normally hibernate so it's not a big mystery. I'm guessing they were housemice? I wonder why three of them ended up in the water together? Some kind of mousey mass-murder perhaps.
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I guess that's the end of the nursery rhyme as we know it :rotfl:
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • susieb
    susieb Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I found a dead lizard yesterday, never seena wild one before alive or dead.
    Always on the hunt for a bargain
  • consumermonkey
    Options
    we have had three mice caught in our traps so far this year!
  • mehefin
    mehefin Posts: 628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Reckon consumer monkey has sent them all east. We had 8 in one day. there seems to be a glut of mice this year.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Talking of hibernation, or lack thereof, I've got hedgehogs in the garden that just haven't bothered hibernating this year! :confused:

Think I'm going to have to start feeding them if the weather turns harsher as they won't have much in the way of fat stores if they've so far remained on the go all winter.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • V_Chic_Chick
    V_Chic_Chick Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Options
    susieb wrote: »
    I found a dead lizard yesterday, never seena wild one before alive or dead.

It was probably someone's escaped pet that succumbed to the cold - I'm not aware of any lizards that live wild in the UK.

As for the mice, they don't hibernate, and if you've killed that many then you must have a lot running around - put down some bait / traps pronto!
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was probably someone's escaped pet that succumbed to the cold - I'm not aware of any lizards that live wild in the UK.

They do but only in the south of England. Some sort of wall lizard if I recall correctly.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • susieb
    susieb Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We are in Norfolk, so not really classed as south, it had been run over, not sure if that was before or after it died, it was only little about 5 inches max to the tip of its tail.
    Always on the hunt for a bargain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport