We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cant get lettuce to grow!

Options
Hi all I have tried so many times to get my own lettuce to grow, Ive planted cut and come again lettuce and rocket etc in various pots and trays and they all sprout and just become really thin and leggy, they become so tall and spindly that they just fall over. They look like cress. What am I doing wrong?! :o

Thanks!

Comments

• a11waysindebt
    Options
    Where are you growing them.
  • Victor_Meldrew
    Options
    My guess is you're growing them in a place which doesn't get enough light. If its too dark they grow quickly towards the light and become long and spindly and fall over. Same applies to most seeds.
    I don't believe it!
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Sounds like the other posters have worked out the problem - you need to start lettuce and most seedlings off in a very light place where they aren't going to strain toward the light.

If you are struggling to find somewhere suitable, I have seen Geoff Hamilton fashion a lightbox from a mid-sized cardboard box, remove one side, top and slope the sides, either paint inside with white paint or line with foil to reflect any possible light. Place on the window sill facing outwards and then put your seed trays in here to germinate. I tried to find a link to one of these, but sadly, can't find one!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    I don't bother starting them off inside at all. Just plant them directly outside, when the conditions allow.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    You haven't mentioned how many seeds you sow. Whilst you need to sow quite a few for 'cut and come again' they will shoot up too quickly and be spindly if they are crowded.

I'd leave 1.5cm between each seed.
  • Jack's_mummy
    Options
    I grow lettuce outside under a make shift cloche - a clear plastic grape container. I have 3 just about ready to start harvesting as cut and come again, but I can never get enough light to them to grow on a windowsill. They have to take their chances in the wet and windy garden
  • lily-ella
    lily-ella Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I think they cant be getting enough light then, as I put them on my windowsill, they could also be too crowed as I just threw a load of seed in every time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure