We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

what should I start with?

Options
hoping to grow veggies etc this year to save on the bank account and teach the children.
new to all this so what are easy things to grow and whats the first thing I can start planting and what month.my garden is small, with just a border type area( keep saying it was for flowers but never got round to it !!!) and I have planters.

I dont have a greenhouse.
Thanks for any help T

Comments

• alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You can do just about anything in containers. I do spuds, carrots, parsnips, broad beans, runner beans, rocket, chillies and of course trailing tomatoes in hanging baskets.

Potatoes and tomatoes are very easy. You could start first early spuds any time now and plant them in an old compost bag. Put holes in the bottom for drainage, two inches of soil in the bottom, pop in 3 spuds and cover with soil. As the leaves appear cover with more soil and roll up the sides of the bag. Very easy. Tomatoes can be started early on a window cill but not sure if its worth it as they grow rapidly anyway. Herbs are also something you could start now on a bright window cill.
  • Jack's_mummy
    Options
    The thing my son loves growing the most is carrots. Not quite time for them yet though
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    courgettes are really easy too as are sweetcorn & squashes - but watch the mice with the seeds!
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport