We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Pipes in concrete floor, leaks

Options
Hi my flat has concrete floors how can I check for leaks? I am possibly going to be fitting a new combi boiler, would the pressure cause leaks to the old pipes, could I relay new plastic pipes would they need to be buried or is there a way of running them above the floor but hiding them from view?
Thanks

Comments

• nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They tend to run plastic at the back of skirting boards these days
  • The_Economist
    Options
    my flat has concrete floors how can I check for leaks?
    Why do you need to check for leaks?
    I am possibly going to be fitting a new combi boiler, would the pressure cause leaks to the old pipes

Shouldn't be a problem as they should be copper pipes.
    If i could i would, but i cannot so i wont, but maybe one day i will.
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    Hi

You'll never know until you try it.The only way you can do it before you actually fit a combi is to pressure test.... http://www.hss.com/g/68820/Pipe-Pressure-Tester.html
    Either way the floor will have to come up.

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • pernes
    pernes Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies in answer to "Why do you need to check for leaks?" I have seen that others flats in the block have had leaks and as I want to do the flat up I am concerned that I would have to undo are my hard work and have additional expense if a leak appears.
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    Hi

If you have a flat underneath you then just re-pipe the system above floor level, around the skirting, and possibly save yourself the worry, cost and delay further on .
    If you really hate the sight of pipes use something like this http://www.pendock.co.uk/Products/Pendock_Profiles/default.aspx?id=316
    although if you are doing this to sell on it's an expense you won't want.

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport