We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Portable Dvd Player

Options
codo
codo Posts: 358 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi

I am hoping to buy a portable dvd player. I have seen a 9" Venturer (PSV1090) that I like but cannot find reviews for it anywhere.

Has anyone got one of these? is it good? I have read good reviews for the smaller screens 4.5 & 7 but saw on another forum someone having problems with jagged lines on edges of 9" when viewed from more than 2 feet. Anyone know if this is a regular occurance and why

Thanks

(this is my first posting. Hope I've put it in the right place)

Comments

• Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not sure about the 9" one but we have just purchased a 7" one for my sons birthday from Argos. We have unlocked it but it won't play -R and +R disks. It also sounds terribly tinny. It is going back tomorrow.
  • AlanS
    AlanS Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    We had a venturer 6.5" version and were very pleased with it ( kept the kids happy on long car journeys ). We bought it for 149.99 last August.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago the cigarette lighter adaptor fell to pieces. As it was still under gaurantee ( just ! ), we contacted Argos yesterday to see what they could do. They said that they didn't do a repair service for Venturer, so they'd just exchange it !!!

They honoured the original price I paid ( even though the cost of portable DVD players have plummetted ), so they swapped my 11 month old 6.5" player for nice new 9" Venturer (PSV1090)

The picture quality is good, and I've just checked it out for "jagged lines" ... can't say I can see any ... maybe the other person just got a duff one.

It's also easy to unlock it to make it multi-region.

I've tested the 9" with DVD-R's & DVD+R's and they all play OK.
  • codo
    codo Posts: 358 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks All

I have bought the 9" for our trip and have tried it out and it seems great and hopefully will keep the kid happy during our drive to france.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport