We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Rewiring & New Roof - how much?

Options
Please can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much to rewire an eight room + bathroom house on four floors, plus how much for a new roof.

Any ideas gratefully recieved as I have no clue.
Always another chapter

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    no idea for a small hotel!
    as a guide, a typical 3 bed semi will cost 5k/10k for a new roof and 2k/3k to rewire.
    you need to work out the roof area compared to an average house to get a rough idea of your costs. plus some extra for more scaffolding.
    Get some gorm.
  • hev_2
    hev_2 Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options
    Not small hotel - small terrace with lots of small rooms, converted cellar, converted attic. :D Lovely and easy to heat which is about the only bonus.

Actually, roof is probably around half size of average semi, so that is a bonus. It will definitely need scaffolding.

Thank you for giving me these pointers. I have heard so many horror stories, and you wouldn't believe the problems we have had with plumbers.

Thank you for your help.
    Always another chapter

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    i misread the opening line re the rooms. thought it said 8 bedrooms!
    if its just a normal ish sized terraced then, my best guesses are in line with your house, for the NW area.
    Get some gorm.
  • hev_2
    hev_2 Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. I'm in West Yorkshire, so I guess that the prices will roughly line up.

I'll start saving for the rewiring first - things dry out but I am starting to get concerned about safety here.

Thanks again for your help.

Hev
    Always another chapter

• baldelectrician
    Options
    Off the top of my head £4500 - £6000

Lesser price if empty and easy access, higher price if people and carpets are in.
    baldly going on...
  • brightontraveller
    Options
    If I were advising client to get place rewired would go for top two floors on one board then bottom two on another
    You can spread the cost of works,
    You can move into one half then other which will make works easier to be done, which makes cheaper,
    having to only feed up split concentric or SWA etc two second fuse board should be cheaper then running all cables so to speak over four floors,
    If fuse goes out on top floor don’t really want to have to go to basement to re set,
    If you want future works on floors it causes less disruption as board would only be maximum one floor away as opposed to three,
    Less channelling in etc should much more versatile system, extra cost of consumer unit and swa etc would be more than covererd in saving on running extra cables between floors and channelling in etc

Shorter cable runs etc is easier for electrician so makes job easier therefore cheaper also future upgrading will be cheaper and if faults where to occur theses would be easier to find also if you were to sell or convert yourself and new buyer was thinking of conversions would make there job easier making them keener on your property as opposed to one not already split
    normal four bed terrace about 4500 - 5500 depending on walls floors etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family