We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Water running down my walls...Help!
Perfect10_2
Posts: 140 Forumite
Under my window sill in the dining room water has appeared. At first I thought it was damp but it has only come in the past 2 weeks. So I thought maybe all this heavy rain.
I took off the paper on the patch and there are two small cracks where the water mark comes from. My OH went outside as it's an exterior wall and resealed around window, unblocked gutter etc and in past two days it had dried out so problem solved...NOT!
Today it has come back in the past hour. Yes its raining again but has been in past two days anyway. Only other thing is I put on the washing machine which hasn't been on since wednesday night. Could this be it?
Washer is in the kitchen though and wall is in an L shape away from the wet area. Is it probable that water travelling along somewhere inside wall and escaping where cracks are?
Oh and I move house in a week so dont want expense of builders but do want to patch up wall well so no more water until at least a while after we move out!!!
I took off the paper on the patch and there are two small cracks where the water mark comes from. My OH went outside as it's an exterior wall and resealed around window, unblocked gutter etc and in past two days it had dried out so problem solved...NOT!
Today it has come back in the past hour. Yes its raining again but has been in past two days anyway. Only other thing is I put on the washing machine which hasn't been on since wednesday night. Could this be it?
Washer is in the kitchen though and wall is in an L shape away from the wet area. Is it probable that water travelling along somewhere inside wall and escaping where cracks are?
Oh and I move house in a week so dont want expense of builders but do want to patch up wall well so no more water until at least a while after we move out!!!
Looking for the sunshine after the rain :cool:
Dealing with debt £1800 paid / £1800 cc :j
Now aiming to be mortgage free...figures to follow
Dealing with debt £1800 paid / £1800 cc :j
Now aiming to be mortgage free...figures to follow
0
Comments
-
Hi, we also have this problem. We stay in a flat on the ground floor. Contacted our insurance, got builder out to fix it, they repaired the rendering outside the window, stripped all the plaster off my living room wall, re-plastered it and painted it, only for the exact same thing to happen a few weeks later. Got a builder out to look at it and he said the water could be coming in anywhere in the whole building (4 stories high) and the water is making its way down the inside of the wall and then finding a weak point in the wall to make its way out. Maybe you should get your roof checked and your walls to make sure that there is nowhere that the rain is penetrating. I'm sitting with a towel under my drip at the moment hoping its not going to rain heavily!!0
-
I am dabbing the wall with kitchen roll again hoping it doesn't rain any more!!
My outside wall is also rendered which makes it very difficult to check the wall directly where the problem is?!
I have also read on the net that water can travel over several feet within the channels in the wall again making it difficult to find the problem. And we are currently in a terraced house so could the water even be coming from a problem with nextdoor?
I just want it sorted so I can repaint the wall before we move out. Argh!!Looking for the sunshine after the rain :cool:
Dealing with debt £1800 paid / £1800 cc :j
Now aiming to be mortgage free...figures to follow
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards