We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Full length windows "whistle" in windy nights

Even a relatively mild windy night results in noisy "whistles" coming from the full length single glazed windows.... it's driving me mad! I just moved here and didn't anticipate this problem now I'm miserable, I cant sleep! HELP!

The frames are made of metal, and I can't tell form where exactly the noise comes from.
Is there a simple solution to this? Not into spending lots of money if possible..

Thanks

Comments

  • Have you got any opening vents in the windows.
  • I have a similar problem but it's not very bad (only when very windy) and it's the spare room. I suspected it might be the vent (newish UPVC), is that common? If it's that I might try to cover it, I can't imagine it would cause any ventilation problems, it's one of 2 windows in the room.

    Anyone have any advise?

    Cheers
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    We have a UPVC window and it makes a noise like a lost baby elephant on really windy nights. I have spend many a night blu tacking different parts of the window to no avail.

    In the end I started looking at the window frame and it seemed to be coming in through the top where the frame connected to the wall so I've blu tacked there and it does seem to make a big difference. I intend to reseal it with silicone seal at some point :o

    Sou
  • sashman
    sashman Posts: 318
    100 Posts
    Forumite
    This is generally because the wind whistles past an opening. Yes newish vents could have this problem, so to drainage slots (small holes designed to allow water to drain through the window.

    Best not to block these as that'll lead to new problems.
    Buying quality goods which last, should be an investment that saves money. :T
    Buying cheap products which fail, wastes money and costs twice as much in the long run. :mad:



This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.