$$$$$$$$ to£££££££££££££

can someone advise me how to cash a $$ cheque without incurring banks charges or commision :confused:

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I think you cannot avoid charges with single cheque and small amount. If the amount is big or you receive cheques regularly consider Citibank (UK). For more information search 'Budgeting & Current Accounts' board or all forums for 'dollar cheque*', 'foreign cheque*' and 'citibank'.
  • Citibank do not charge for banking US dollar cheques and will happily allow (subject to status) to open a US dollar current account.

I have three current accounts with Citibank (Euro, USD and Sterling) It is also helping to be able to send money instantly to any other citibank account holder in North America or Western Europe. USD cheques normally take two weeks or less to clear (with normal UK banks it takes about 6 weeks)

The only downside is one has to keep £2,000 (or equivalent) on deposit with them.
    all accounts are taken into consideration for this amount on deposit to avoid paying any account keeping fees.

check it out here
    http://www.citibank.co.uk/uk/bankingproducts/currentaccounts/usdollar/index.jsp

If this cheque is a one off, I would try to get it cancelled and arrange to receive payment via paypal or moneybookers as the amount of fees you will have to pay is much less. I am sure martin has dealt with this issue;

check it out here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=10656

I hope this helps

SparrowHawk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business