We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Approximate cost to fix blocked dishwasher?

Options
Hi,

I have a AEG Favorit Sensorlogic Turbodry inbulit dishwasher and a few weeks ago it would refuse to drain the water.

Unfortunately I am finding it difficult to remove the metal plate from the bottom of it . It looks as if you need some sort of special tool to remove the bolts?

I am probably going to call someone in to fix this and was wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost to fix it so I don't get ripped off?

Can anyone tell me the approx cost if

A) Its just a simple blockage or
B) New pump needs fitting

Thanks in advance! :money:
"He's a maniac, maniac that's for sure,
He will kill your cat and nail him to the door" :eek:
Murphys No More Pies Club Member #95

Comments

• maniac886
    maniac886 Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    bump..... any ideas...ta
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    you are lucky if you find any one to fix a dishwasher. When my dishwasher went faulty no local engineer would come out and fix it, they said it wasn't worth there while.

pumps are about £70
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    Check the hose isn't kinked.

If you can get to the end of the hose you could try blowing down the end (after cleaning the end). This works 80% of the time.

If the end is too yukky put a toilet roll tube on the end and hold it over the dishwasher tube and blow.

sounds a bit gross (don't suck :D ), but if it works it will save you at least £50
    baldly going on...
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you also checked you outside drain?

DH had been out to a Dish Washer a couple of times because the owner said it wouldn't drain. He put it through its cycle and it drained fine while he was there (which is often the case!) In the end he discovered a large and very frightened FROG was the cause of the blockage!:D
  • Mr_Warren_2
    Options
    The soft impeller of your pump is blocked by a solid. Happened to me twice in 3 years. First time cost me GBP40 to get it fixed. I now do it myself for nothing. The pump is situated behind the metal plate at the bottom of the dishwasher (below the door). Get access to pump by pulling machine out of its housing, tilt machine back and remove plate (4 or 6 screws). Locate pump (two inch pipes leading to it one IN the other OUT). Remove spring wire clips (found this the most tedious to do) securing pipes to pump body, remove pump, open by twisting both halves apart, remove solide(s) replace both halves, job done. All in all 1h max for the first time.
  • maniac886
    maniac886 Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys, I found someone local from the UK white goods website.

Basically the pump had burnt out due to a blockage. It cost £90 including parts and labour to fix it!

Oh well!!!
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    maniac886 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I found someone local from the UK white goods website.

Basically the pump had burnt out due to a blockage. It cost £90 including parts and labour to fix it!

Oh well!!!

Try and encourage anyone who uses the D.Washer to scrape their plates/dishes etc before loading into D.Washer. Some people think their dishwashers are also waste disposal units!!:D ALso don't put in any fat. DH goes to a couple and they WILL keep putting dishes in that they cook sausages etc in (in the oven) FULL of fat. That clogs it and he tells them EVERY single time but they'd rather pay for him to clean it out than listen!!:D Ah well, the customer is always right!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport