PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Decent Web Site For Scottish Buying

Options
Hi All

Anyone know any idiot proof guides for buying in Scotland? I am looking at an old tenement flat (do they have leasehold up there?).

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Hunnymonster
    Hunnymonster Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    There's a section called "Dial-a-Law" on the Law Society of Scotland's site at http://www.lawscot.org.uk/ - not sure how much use it is though as I engaged the worlds most laid back solicitor to sort it all out for me :D
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    GingeG wrote:
    Hi All

Anyone know any idiot proof guides for buying in Scotland? I am looking at an old tenement flat (do they have leasehold up there?).

Any help appreciated

Less of the 'up there' would help.

See here for a guide.
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's some CAB guidance at http://!!!!!!!.com/92fz8. 'We' don't have leasehold 'up here', there's no such concept in Scotland. I'm sure it probably wasn't intended to be deliberately patronising but, as IrnBru suggests, it might be wise to leave the 'they up there' attitude with 'them down there' when you move ...

EDIT: !!!!!!! seems not to want to work. Try http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/n6w/scotland/family_parent/housing_scotland/
    buying_a_home_scotland/scotland/family_parent/housing_scotland/
    buying_a_home_scotland.htm

without the line breaks.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    Fifer wrote:
    EDIT: !!!!!!! seems not to want to work. Try

IIRC its because it can contain hidden referals.

Try the link now.
  • GingeG
    GingeG Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Irn Bru and Fifer really sorry I am Scottish born and bred just been in the Aermy for last 22 years and only ever permanently lived in England (home often though!) therefore my only buying experience is in England and I ssumed rthat this site was kinda English really sorry I never meant to sound patronising.

And thanks for the web addys
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Glad the link was useful.

IrnBru, thanks for the heads-up on t!!!!!l.com, I didn't know that. I'll just have to start typing the URL tags longhand.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport