Slobbering dog on car journeys...advice please!

We have 3 Shih Tzus. Two of them are fine on car journeys, but Suki sits there slobbering and foaming at the mouth. If she has ate that day she always throws up too :eek: I have sat her on my knee on a towel, talking to her and stroking her, but she is just the same. Does anybody know why she is doing this.......... and if its curable?? She is 7 months old. TIA

Replies

• Paul_HerringPaul_Herring Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried travel sickness pills?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • pboaepboae Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    I'm not sure what travel sickness pills you could give to a dog, but ginger can work for them (as it does for some humans). Try her with half a ginger biscuit 20 minutes or so before the journey, or a ginger capsule.

Also, the usual advice for children and car sickness applies to dogs as well. Keep her facing the front and encourage her to look out of the front window. Don't travel after a big meal, but not on a completely empty stomach either. Open the window to keep fresh air flowing.

She may just grow out of it, but in the meantime try and avoid it happening as much as possible. It can become a vicious circle because the dog learns to associate being in the car with feeling sick, so they get stressed and anxious, which makes them feel sick. That can last long after they have grown out of travel sickness.
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • JennyW_2JennyW_2 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    it's very normal for dogs to suffer with travel sickness. It would be worth speaking to your vet. Not sure if there are doggie sickness pills or they may recommend a dose suitable for dogs of human pills.
  • moj1966moj1966 Forumite
    198 Posts
    by sitting her on your lap giving her attention is confirming to her she should be distressed.
    i just ignored my bulldog who would shake slowly she has got more confident. But if i make a fuss of her she starts shaking all over again.
  • We have exactly the same problem with our doggie, Copper!

The way we handle it is, to give her a sickness tablet which usually does the trick! But on the odd occasion when were only going down the road she doesnt usually need one.
    We try to get her to fall asleep so that she doesnt look out of the window or if she wants to be awake we make sure she looks out the front window all the time so its less likely to make her feel sick.

We also have a problem with a certain road. We rescued her from a kennel on Leeds Rd in Huddersfield and everytime we go down the road without a doubt sickness tablet or no sickness tablet she always throws up! We think its because she can remember the horrible time she had in the kennels or (because she was a stray) shes just had a bad experience in general with that particular part of road!

We also find them puppy training mats are rather useful as you can put them on the floor of your car (and if your in the back on the seat next to you) so if she does throw up the sick goes on to the mat which is easy to just bundle up and throw away.

If your dog has some tell tale signs that shes going to be sick (like our Copper has) such as her stomach tightening etc the puppy training mat is easy to grab and make into a little bag which you can quickly put her nose in and catch any nastyness! (works very well if you think quick enough! as it just gets rid of it all quickly and its easy to throw away!)

hope that helps alittle!
    ;)

PS There are doggie sickness tablets, i wouldnt recommend human ones for your doggie unless you doctor says so but we have some for doggies, and the dosage is very simple about 2 for a small dog ranging up to about 10 for a large doggie. I was rather surprised with the dosage but it works!
    I'm getting married in August 2015
    :j
  • catkinscatkins Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I got my dog as a puppy we had a 4 hour car journey to bring him home. Although we stopped as much as possible he was terribly sick and obviously that distressed him. After that every time he went in the car he would slobber so much he would soak all his front and was nearly always sick. So he hated cars and would shake even going near one.

What we did was to very very gradually get him used to the car. For a few days we would walk him to the car (more like drag him because he was so scared of it!) and just let him sniff around it. Then we would open one or more of the doors but still not put him inside. Then we sat inside with him but did not start the engine. When he seemed fine with this we started the engine but did not move the car. The next step was to drive the car but for the first couple of times we literally drove for a few minutes. Gradually we built up the time praising him for not slobbering or being scared.

Now he loves the car and will sleep on the back seat or look out the window. We have taken him on holiday and driven 8 hours or so to get there (obviously stopping for toilet and drink breaks, us and him!) and he was absolutely fine.

It may take a bit of time but I honestly think it is worth it.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • when we got our collie as apup she was always sick in the car. the saliva would start dripping the second she realised she was going in the car. invariably she'd be sick within ten minutes on the road.

we used ginger snap biscuits as mentioned earlier, worked a treat. still the odd accident for a wee while but she is no longer sick on car journeys, no longer using the biscuits.

she is still not very keen on getting in the car tho.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
  • Debt_Free_ChickDebt_Free_Chick Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liverbird wrote: »
    I have sat her on my knee on a towel, talking to her and stroking her, but she is just the same.

To be honest, this is a bad idea. You are effectively telling her that she has something to be stressed about, by being in the car.

I know it's difficult, but you have to leave her in the back with the others. Does she have something familiar? a toy, blanket or something that she associates with the safety of the house/her bed?

She will grow out of it, but only if she gets used to travelling in the car "normally".

She may appear to be distressed, but she's really just asking you if she ought to be, or not. If you ignore her she'll soon learn that the car journey ends - usually with being safe at home or by having fun in a new place.

HTH
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • catkinscatkins Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi liverbird, would be interested to know what you have decided to do and how you get on.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • KimberleyKimberley Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liverbird wrote: »
    I have sat her on my knee on a towel, talking to her and stroking her, but she is just the same. Does anybody know why she is doing this.......... and if its curable?? She is 7 months old. TIA

Please do not do that, thats like making a fuss over a dog who doesn't like Fireworks, you must let them get used to it without you making it worse. Goodluck.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides