PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FTBs - practical solutiomns

Options
what practical things can the government do to get FTBs started?
"enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb

Comments

• nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Give us 100 grand :)
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hmmm...interesting, but the subject header does say, "practical"
  • meanmachine_2
    meanmachine_2 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The government can do practically nothing.

And they shouldn't meddle, apart from taxing second homes.

Oh and they could stop fiddling the inflation figures and unemployment rates in a (sadly successful) attempt to trick the unwashed masses into thinking everything's rosy.

Oh and they should ban Kirsty Allsop.

The last thing they should do is use tax payer's money to bribe FTBers.
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I think that many potential first time buyers are saddled with huge debt before they even start, through, for example tuition fees which can cause problems as they are not in a good position to start saving for deposits at an early stage.

Encouraging saving rather than debt at an early age would be a good start!
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And introducing basic money management skills and understanding into the national curriculum wouldn't go amiss either (or am I opening a different can of worms here?)

I'm amazed at how many people on this site come and post with basic income tax questions for example (and that is NOT meant to be an attack on anyone BTW!).

I spent weeks in school learning about artesian basins and how to paint in watercolour, maybe my time would have been better spent if I'd had been given some tutorship in tax, pensions, insurance, basic banking, savings, budgeting, job seeking, mortgages, & the ploys that credit agencies will use to hook you for the foreseeable.......

Anyway.....I digress........sorry!
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • meanmachine_2
    meanmachine_2 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    Options
    mrcow wrote:
    I spent weeks in school learning about artesian basins and how to paint in watercolour, maybe my time would have been better spent if I'd had been given some tutorship in tax, pensions, insurance, basic banking, savings, budgeting, job seeking, mortgages, & the ploys that credit agencies will use to hook you for the foreseeable.......

Anyway.....I digress........sorry!

Excellent idea. I could tell you all about how an Ox bow lake is formed :rolleyes: but when it comes to income tax I break out into a cold sweat.

Conspiracy perhaps?

after all, if we were all economically literate and could work out real interest rates and regressive hidden taxation, I think politicians would be in a lot of trouble.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    Options
    Oh and they could stop fiddling the inflation figures
    Perhaps it's time to put housing costs back in the index, could always take council tax and fuel out to make it more representative of average household costs...
    Oh and they should ban Kirsty Allsop.
    Spooky that, both her and Tony having the same mantra (the only way is up) - would be really funny if she was TBs "property expert" http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/page.cfm?objectid=15666578&method=full&siteid=106694. Sure I heard her on the radio a couple of weeks ago - something like "all the people who know about property - estate agents, banks, building societies, surveyors etc are predicting modest rises, only economists are predicting falls" - for everything else, use Mastercard.
  • theGrinch
    Options
    surely cheap starter homes will help bridge the gap between renting and getting on the property circuit. they have to be decent quality otherwise they will depreciate!

it would help if all govt depts ie education, transport, health, environment etc worked together rather than have competing agendas maybe then they will give patronage to some new towns.
  • theGrinch
    Options
    MM there is a strong argument that using fiscal policy like taxing second homes will only drive prices up. Increasing stamp duty has after all not quelled demand, but worked to distort the market.

Accountants will just register 2nd, 3rd.....Nth homes in either the name of long lost relatives or companies!

surely the problem is not old labour with tax and more tax, but forward thinking and working on the supplyside for a change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport