Dog grooming / stripping

Options
Hi, have two dogs, one is a collie cross and he moults horrendously. Have had them both proffesionally groomed before christmas (£50 for both - not very moneysaving), the moulting stopped for about 2-3 weeks, but is now back with avengence.

What would be the best grooming item to buy to use at home, to at least cut back on the amount of cleaning/brushing up after them. (They are both scared to death of the hoover, so no i can't hoover them).

Groomer did strip them (but did not hand strip) am slightly in the dark as to what this entails and can i do it at home?

Nearest pet store is a large "Pets at home". Will they stock everything i need?

Thank you Claire

Comments

• MoneySavingStudent_2
    Options
    Hi there,

Is this link any help?
    http://serendipityairedales.tripod.com/StripAiredales.html

I think it give a general idea!
    From my experience with pets at home they do a good range of products so you proberbly could find what you need there, but if not you'll definatly find it somewhere online or on ebay!

Ill keep having a look for more information!
    x
    I'm getting married in August 2015
    :j
  • MoneySavingStudent_2
    Options
    This might be good for some help with styles? Esp the short collie one!

http://www.petmotelandsalon.com/groomingLibrary.php

And theres a huge range of products on ebay

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=dog+clippers

hope this helps! lol x
    I'm getting married in August 2015
    :j
  • borderlakland
    Options
    You can strip (either by hand or stripping knife) quite easily at home,but often easier if you can find someone to show you how 1st.PAH sell most types of stripping knifes etc.
    not sure about collie type dogs but using clippers will often change the texture of a dogs fur as it grows back.(no idea how/why)so might be worth asking your groomer what they used.
    Lead us not into temptation...

just tell us where it is and we'll find it....
  • workinmummy
    workinmummy Posts: 1,479 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks

Will take a trip to Pets at home and see whats on offer. Don't want to clip him. Don't think i would get near him with the clippers, he'd be off as soon as he heard them lol!. He loves being stroked and brushed, so i'm sure he'd sit still for me whilst i try out stripping.
  • crazyspaniels
    Options
    Doubt the groomer stripped them, as collies dont get their coats stripped, but if she dead haired them, thats a different matterm chances are she used either a Coat King or a Furminator, a Coat King is used for long coated breeds like spaniels and collies to remove dead hair, a wide 16 blade would set you back about £20, not in pets at home, or a Furminator which is good for collies and GSDs etc would set you back about £25, do a search for Furminators and see if its what the groomer used?
    something missing
  • TitchTori
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can get cheap grooming from dog grooming college courses? And if so does anyone specifically know of a college in the manchester area or fife area (i'm moving to fife later this year so that's for future reference)

Thanks
  • Wolfsbayne
    Options
    I dont know what its like in the rest of the country but the local college to me which does dog grooming classes asks that the students bring a different type dog for each session (wiry, long haired, short haired, etc) so these students will often advertise cheap/free prices.
  • Scubabe
    Scubabe Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    Highly recommend a Furminator they are amazing the amount of hair they get out!!!
    At PAH look for Stripping Blades - you use them like a comb/brush and they remove all the dead top coat, and then we use a comb shaped a bit like a rake which is a Miki product (got it from PAH) which then removes the dead undercoat.
    A session of those two every few days removes a lot of hair from constantly moulting labs :)

Ness
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport