Help with choosing estate agents!

bridiejbridiej Forumite
5.8K Posts
✭✭✭✭
Had an agent round over a month ago, told us £165K.

Had another one round yesterday who we were keen to use as they also advertise in London, started off by saying £195K! When I said I was surprised and told him the other valuation he said "Oh, I'd have thought £175K".

Got another one coming tomorrow just to check but we really think £169K tops.

Question is, if he gave such a high valuation is he just after our business? And should we trust them to sell our house?

I just pop in now and then.... :)
transcribing

Replies

• SquidgySquidgy Forumite
    684 Posts
    NO!!!!

Sorry, hubby is an estate agent, but when we sold our house we had three differnt agents to his.

If the guy can't tell you a price without you telling him first what you've already been told then he is a no no!

I would definately agree that he is just after your business.

Most agents are part of chains which can advertise your property in other areas so check out where the other agents can advertise you. Most agents also advertise online now aswell don't forget.

HTH
    Squidgy x
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
  • bridiejbridiej Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Squidgy, think you just confirmed what my head was telling me just needed to hear it! :)

transcribing
  • kamarankamaran Forumite
    75 Posts
    Try https://www.nethouseprices.com to get an indication of how much local properties have gone for in your area.

I believe in this very forum someone posted their rural house had been valued at 150K by two agents and 250K by a third. They went with the 3rd agent and got full asking price!

Its all about what people have paid in the area and are willing to pay.
  • bridiejbridiej Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's so difficult as there are no other houses the same as ours on the market - the only similar one has been converted into 3 beds and has a consevatory and garage.. ours is 2 beds, no conservatory, no garage.........

Got another one coming tomorrow, will see what they think..

transcribing
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides