1899 woes

Options
innovate
innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
Decided to start using 1899 in combination with Dialwise (the guys with the 4p/min from landline to mobile) and Tiscali CPS since my call pattern doesn't give me the best deal with any single one of them by themselves.

Signing up to Tiscali was a doddle. and using Dialwise is not beyond my wits....but 1899 (which I want to use for their zero rate for call to landlines in Germany) won't even let me register!!! :rolleyes: They insist my credit card number is invalid. I have a Virgin/RBS OneAccount, and sometimes I have problems using the OneAccount VISA card on the Internet - suppose it's one of those instances where people don't recognise OneAccount card numbers. I am now waiting to hear back from 1899 but must say I am not impressed so far. Will just have to use the Dialwise 1p/min in the meantime, and perhaps I'll stick with it and simply not bother with 1899.

Feeling better now that I have aired my frustration, will report how I got on!

Comments

• pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    Innovate.Any particular reason why you want to use 1899.
    How about using https://www.call18866.co.uk
    They accept payment by D/D now.
    PF.
  • Hunnymonster
    Hunnymonster Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    innovate wrote:
    sometimes I have problems using the OneAccount VISA card on the Internet - suppose it's one of those instances where people don't recognise OneAccount card numbers.

Sounds more like the fault is with OneAccount rather than 1899 - I'd be inclined to moan at them.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    After several circular discussions with both my credit card provider and 1899, I have given up....there's nothing wrong with my credit card, I use it all the time, and have only had rejections from 1899 since my original post.

Ah well, won't be an 1899 customer then if they won't take my money
  • April2
    April2 Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    18866 is 2p connection and 0p/minute to UK 01/02 numbers, 1899 is 3p connection and 0p/minute to UK 01/02 numbers and 18185 is 4p connection and 0p/minute to UK 01/02 numbers.

I use 18866 for UK calls and 18185 for calls to Spain (4p connection and 1p/minute).

Choices, choices, ........
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    innovate -

if you're not able to join 1899, another way to get 0p/min to Germany is use https://www.topupnow.co.uk.
    A £1.50 premium rate call gets you £1.50 of credit to use via 0808 1700 123 - and Germany is 0p/min with 5p connection fee. I'm using it fine to get 0p/min to USA. The £1.50 top up does sometimes seem to take about 30-60 seconds to register (I don't know if this is because I'm NTL or anything), so do not panic if you call the 0808 number straight away and have no credit - just hang up and dial again.

S
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    I gotta say, I ain't had a problem with 1899
  • gavinp
    gavinp Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds more like the fault is with OneAccount rather than 1899 - I'd be inclined to moan at them.

Exactly - the OP says they have problems with using the card with some sites and then moans about 1899...

Thanks

Gavin
  • woohooman
    Options
    Websites all use a bank web scheme to take credit/debit card payments on the net. When you are "diverted" to a secure site to take your payment, you are actually being diverted to a banking service like i use such as worldpay.com (royal bank scotland) and they take the payment for a small commision. If you card doesnt work with call1899 then it wont work on several more websites and it has nothing to do with 1899 - contacting them will be a waste of time. I use call 1899 - why everyone isnt using them is beyond me. Its an excellent service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure