globe ceiling light/fitting

I want to put a globe light in our bathroom but it wont fit over the existing ceiling rose. it looks like i'll have to take the rose down and use a connector block .Has anyone else got a good idea???--I suppose i could move the wiring to the other side of the ceiling and just have the two wires for the light???Hmmmm!!

Comments

• Jem8472
    Jem8472 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    depends what you mean by the ceiling rose I am guessing you mean just the little plastic thing with a wire coming out of it. Or do you mean a big plater type thing?

If it is just the small plastic one to put a new fitting up you would have to remove that anyway.
    Jeremy
    Married 9th May 2009
  • catford
    catford Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    Thats too easy --to just be the unscrewing bit!! No i'm afraid its the main fitting with all the wiring in it!
  • Jem8472
    you take the plastic ceiling rose off and disconnect the wires usually from a wiring block and then unscrew the bit that is in the ceiling and then if it is the sort of fitting I am thinking of you screw that up in its place and reconnect the wires to the new light and put the shade on
    Jeremy
    Married 9th May 2009
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Wiring in the celing rose can be quite complicated sometimes:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/lights_and_switches.htm

ceilingroseb.jpg

And even more complicated if extractor fan with timer is connected to the rose ...
    Replace rose with a proper terminal block:
    p1443618_x.jpg
  • catford
    cheers grumbler. i've got a terminal block,so it should work nicely.
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 295 Forumite
    I would not give advice on this one without knowing the facts 100%. Remember this is a bathroom & fittings should be to a IP rating.
  • Jem8472
    if the light is going in zone 3 (more than 2 feet away from a water source) then it does not need to have an IP rating.
    Jeremy
    Married 9th May 2009
  • catford
    thanks for the warning!!its going into zone 3!
  • dazzzyc
    dazzzyc Posts: 16 Forumite
    be careful when using chocolate blocks,tape them well, and also be careful of part p building regs when doing any electrical work in a bathroom or kitchen
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family