PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mini compost heap for the single household

I want to start composting stuff but I only produce a small amount of kitchen waste and I don't need a lot of compost, just enough for pot plants really.

I've searched through the archives and one poster suggested just using a plastic bag, but this sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Does anybody know of a product or method to just make small amounts of compost - I'd like something like a 30 litre tub with a sealed lid and a little hatch at the bottom to remove the compost.
'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp

Comments

• Do you have room for 2 plastic bins, the ones that look like dustbins that are scaled down for kitchens or kids rooms? you will just need to drill some holes in the sides, or use a hammer and fat nail to punch holes, you don't need an access hatch if you use two, one is cooking while the other is filling.
  • Austin_Allegro
    Austin_Allegro Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Interesting - so how long do I need to leave it 'cooking'? As long as it takes to fill the other bin up, presumably?
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • It's a 'how long is a piece of string question' I'm afraid, it depends on what goes in and where it's kept etc. you can add stuff like Garotta to speed it up if you like
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The post about plastic bags was mine :) It really does work if you use the bags your potting compost comes in. I've been using mine in rotation for years. Honest :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Austin_Allegro
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Squeaky, a couple of questions:

Do they have to be compost bags or will any heavy duty plastic do?

Do the bags need holes in them?

How do you seal the top to stop animals getting in etc.

Do you need to tamp down the contents?

Thanks.
  • Kippsy
    Kippsy Posts: 259 Forumite
    I thought that generally compost wants about 18months + to be good and earthy... does this sound about right?

Also, slightly off thread does it do the compost good to mix it up a bit every now and then or is it best just to be left?
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Squeaky, a couple of questions:

Do they have to be compost bags or will any heavy duty plastic do?

If they are heavy duty BLACK ones, yes. For preference :) less light means less chance of things continuing to grow.

Do the bags need holes in them?

Yes. A few small ones low down will suffice.

How do you seal the top to stop animals getting in etc.

I don't. Never had a problem that I'm aware of. If you want to tie the top I'd use some cord or rag that you can untie easily, but I just scrunch the top together :)

Do you need to tamp down the contents?

Nope. I suppose you could, but over time everything settles naturally. I'd pick the bag up (by the top) and bump it on the floor a couple of times if I wanted to squeeze lots of fresh stuff in - but my garden is small, I never put woody stuff in, and it would take me a full season to fill one. Then I'd set it aside and start another. Then set that one aside and start a third. By this time the first one is well ready and can be used as pure compost next season or a top dressing to over winter and the end of this one.

Thanks.
    If you're limited for space and you can't hide the bags - what you could do is take the top six inches or so off your one and only bag in spring, use up all the compost, and start again in that bag with the stuff you just took out.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Kippsy wrote:
    I thought that generally compost wants about 18months + to be good and earthy... does this sound about right?

Also, slightly off thread does it do the compost good to mix it up a bit every now and then or is it best just to be left?
    It all depends very much on what you are composting and how you are composting it. There are slow methods and quick ones.

A really good site that'll answer all your compost questions is Here.
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    I have one of those dalek type bins, though the smaller of the sizes available. Though there's only me in the household, I'm finding I always have plenty to go in it. I guess I fill about two five-litre size containers per week with fruit and vegetable waste from the kitchen. I also put in any soft cuttings from the garden. In fact, I'm keeping one shrub purely because of the mass of soft stem and leaves it gives me for the compost bin!

Don't forget dry material - too much paper might make it slimey, but shredding your loo-roll inners as you use them will probably give you enough dry stuff. I salvage loo-roll inners from work now, and my boyfriend brings me his veg waste each weekend (the old romantic!).

My last neighbours also offered me their vegetable waste, but that was before I had a composter, so I had to say no, and they've gone now, more's the pity!

So - you may find you produce more compostable material than you thought! Grass cuttings can go in of course, though not too much in one clump, or that will go slimey.

I have never yet taken anything OUT of the compost bin, I'm still piling it in and waiting! It shrinks a lot, but I've only just started putting dried stuff in, so probably before I was just making a sludgey mess of kitchen waste!

Plus, if you're feeling adventurous, you could always gather nettles or seaweed to add to the bin! Can speed things up and add goodness! Or straw bedding and droppings from rabbits, chickens or similar, if you know anyone who can oblige there! (NOT cats and dogs of course!).
  • Austin_Allegro
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think the bag option for me is out, as I share my garden with a neighbour who has a very inquisitive dog who will probably eat the compost and die (actually that gives me an idea....just joking) or at least scatter it all over the garden. So it looks like I'll go for the mini-bin option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure