Eruditor.com of Hastings.

Options
Book sellers.
Anyone dealt with this company? Ordered from them over a month ago. Not a great amount, but its the principle. No reply to messages sent.
Although in their terms and conditions it does say ' our capability to answer your messages is very low, to keep staff costs down '.
Thinking I've been had.

Comments

• hypno-piper
    Options
    I can only speak as I find but I have used this company and found them to be very good. Books have arrived very quickly and are MUCH cheaper than any other on line book store I have used. I buy a good deal of books on line and always check out the availability through Eruditor before I go elsewhere. I hope you can get your issues sorted with them but in my experience this appears to be a glitch as opposed to the norm.
  • dw1976_2
    Options
    I've been involved in a struggle with Eruditor since February to either get my order or my money back for a CD that I ordered. No reply to e-mails or to two letters sent, one threatening legal action. I order stuff online all the time and this is by far the worst customer service I've ever experienced - I also think I've been had.
  • Jellyroll
    Options
    A while back I decided to give eruditor.com a go.

I ordered four books from their web site (whose terms and conditions include "You may cancel your order at any time before it is dispatched to you.") on December 3rd 2008, and the e-mail confirmation of that order stated that the Eruditor.com team was confident that I would be satisfied.

On December 4th I received an e-mail giving an expected dispatch date of December 19th:
    Dear customer,
    Thank you very much for your order again. We expect to dispatch your order on 19-Dec-2008. We are confident that you will be satisfied.
    Best regards,
    --
    Eruditor.com team

Registered office:
    Eruditor Ltd, 2 Cambridge Gardens, Hastings, TN34 1EH

P.S.: Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is NOT MONITORED and you will not receive a response.
    On December 11th I received another e-mail:
    Dear customer,
    This is updated information about your order. Your order has been delayed, unfortunaly. We expect to dispatch the parcel on 19-Dec-2008. We are confident that you will be satisfied.
    Best regards,
    --
    Eruditor.com team

Registered office:

P.S.: Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is NOT MONITORED and you will not receive a response.
    On December 18th:
    Dear customer,
    This is updated information about your order. Your order has been delayed, unfortunaly. We expect to dispatch the parcel on 4-Jan-2009. We are confident that you will be satisfied.
    Best regards,
    --
    Eruditor.com team

Registered office:

OK, I'm a patient enough person, but a second delay announcement, and an expected delivery date more than 28 days after I'd placed my order, were too much. I used eruditor.com's web site to cancel the order, and ordered from Amazon instead, whose web site indicated they were able to deliver all four books before Christmas even if I went for free shipping (which I did, and they did).

Next day, from eruditor.com, I received:
    Dear customer,
    We have just dispatched a parcel with your order.
    You can find more information in Your Account.

We are confident that you will be satisfied.
    Best regards,
    --
    Eruditor.com team

Registered office:

Later that same day I got another e-mail stating that one of the items on my order had been cancelled.

I made contact via the company's web site to ask what was going on, and was told by e-mail (I shan't bother quoting it all -- I'm sure you get the idea now that eruditor.com sends e-mails to which its customers apparently should not respond, and that its team holds out an expectation of customer satisfaction that flies in the face of all the evidence) "Unfortunately your order was too far down our system to be cancelled. The book already left the warehouse ready for shipment when we received your email to cancel. We will book the book for return, once received we will arrange for a refund."

I asked what address to use to return the books when they arrived. Eventually, on January 2nd, I was told: "Please use the address printed on the invoice. The parcel should be returned normal surface (postal) mail and please let us know the mailing cost to include in your refund."

I asked again for an address, explaining that I would be returning the package unopened, so wouldn't be able to see the invoice. On January 6th I was given an address, to which the parcel was returned that day.

A week later I contacted them again to ask if the parcel had been received safely. The response, a couple of days after that: "Your returned parcel has not been processed. I expect that everything is OK so I have just refunded you outstanding balance. Please excuse us for the inconvenience with your whole order, emails etc."

The outstanding balance was indeed refunded that day, January 15th, but not my postage. I asked about that. February 5th, someone bothered to respond: "We unfortunately will not be refunding the postage. Our return policy can be found on our website."

I did respond to this on February 6th, but having had no reply I think it's safe to assume that, having sent me a misleading e-mail claiming my order would not be dispatched, and then dispatching part of my order (but not saying which part); and sending a misleading e-mail stating that my postage would be refunded, which was then contradicted; and having a web site that claims an order can be cancelled any time before dispatch...except, apparently, the day before dispatch; eruditor.com has no intention of responding.

From the above, it appears that eruditor.com is a company that is dishonest and incompetent to the core, and certainly worth giving a very wide berth.
  • Jellyroll
    Options
    Sorry, I must correct myself. I actually returned the books on January 9th, not January 6th, so it was six days later that I received my reply and partial refund.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I recently (17th April) ordered a book with information that the same would "usually" be dispatched within 2 - 5 days. I am still waiting. (I have contacte dthe company only to be told that their supplier "may" be out of stock.

Has anyone else had any more recent dealings with this company?
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    I always stick to the rule:

If they don't give you a phone number to call, don't buy from them...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Jellyroll
    Options
    You don't use ebay, then?
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    Jellyroll wrote: »
    You don't use ebay, then?

Nope, never have, never will...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure