We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

allotments...will they sell on their veggies if they have too many..

Options
Deals_2
Deals_2 Posts: 2,410 Forumite
rather than buying from a supermarket i would rather get from an allotment if they have any surplus. what is the best way of going about it? i have heard of one allotment not being able to sell on their produce but i imagine it is different with each. is there an allotment website for example? thanks

Comments

• Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Allotments aren't for profit; most allotmenteers will either give to family or friends or swap any surplus; and they/we get good at planning so avoid a surplus and/or freezing. The not-for-profit bit is part of the agreement of having an allotment.
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    A friend of ours has an allottment and is kind enough to offer us any of his surplus. If we can't use it we normally know someone who can.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • Sola
    Sola Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Options
    When I had an allotment, we just used to swap amongst ourselves. They even stopped one guy from raising seedlings to sell for pennies to other plotholders; very strict rules.
  • loumac
    loumac Posts: 942 Forumite
    Options
    I sold on a lot of my surplus veg last year to friends and families and wasn't aware of any rules to the contrary. In fact I was telling my allotment secretary how well I did this morning and he said he might have a go next year.

I think your best bet is to find someone with an allotment - or consider getting one yourself. It's fun and good exercise. :j
    Wandered away from the MSE track for a while but am back and on a mission! Debts cleared nearly £18k. Now to start saving ...
  • point3
    point3 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that our allotment states growing is for own use only. Any form of growing to sell on is against the rules, but I'd reckon that most gardeners wouldn't object if you're just selling for a few pence to recover costs.
  • Zazen999
    Options
    From the plot holders guide; issued by the gvt
    Sales
    You are not permitted to run your allotment
    plot as a business. You may only sell genuine
    surplus produce from your plot – or give it
    away. You cannot sub-let your plot or sell it.
    Individual allotments will interpret the rules as they wish of course.
  • Deals_2
    Options
    I am a bit worried that i wont always have the time and in teh past all of my plants seem to die on me!!!
    Zazen999 wrote: »
    From the plot holders guide; issued by the gvt

Sales
    You are not permitted to run your allotment
    plot as a business. You may only sell genuine
    surplus produce from your plot – or give it
    away. You cannot sub-let your plot or sell it.

Individual allotments will interpret the rules as they wish of course.
  • Zazen999
    Options
    Hi

An allotment is alot to take on; what about growing smaller scale at home? There's loads of posts on here about container gardening/raised beds etc.
  • oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    Options
    Our tennancy agreement makes it clear that we are not allowed to sell any produce, and if we do (and they find out, obviously!) then our tennancy is immedietly terminated.

Costs for an allotment vary from council to council. I have a council owned one which is 10 rods and costs us £33 per year. We have running water throughout the site, but are not allowed to keep any livestock. My friend has an allotment which is on a private site and whilst they don't have any running water they are allowed to keep livestock - she has chickens. Hers costs a little more at £45 for 10 rods, but she prefers to collect / save/lug water up there in return for being able to keep 'her girls' (chickens).

The best bet would be to phone up your local council and ask how much a plot would cost and if there is a waiting list / any available. A lot of councils in our area offer half plots now, which may be a better size if you are worried about time.

Most lottie holders look after each other and are such a great source of knowledge. If you have plants that are poorly you can be sure that someone will know why and be able to offer you advice. We have some lovely guys on our site who have given me seedlings / excess produce / excess seeds and are always happy to spend a half hour watering your plot for you if it looks like it needs it and you aren't around.
  • Deals_2
    Options
    private option as i would be interested in keeping chickens. anyone have info what next step i should take? would the council know seeing as it is private?
    Our tennancy agreement makes it clear that we are not allowed to sell any produce, and if we do (and they find out, obviously!) then our tennancy is immedietly terminated.

Costs for an allotment vary from council to council. I have a council owned one which is 10 rods and costs us £33 per year. We have running water throughout the site, but are not allowed to keep any livestock. My friend has an allotment which is on a private site and whilst they don't have any running water they are allowed to keep livestock - she has chickens. Hers costs a little more at £45 for 10 rods, but she prefers to collect / save/lug water up there in return for being able to keep 'her girls' (chickens).

The best bet would be to phone up your local council and ask how much a plot would cost and if there is a waiting list / any available. A lot of councils in our area offer half plots now, which may be a better size if you are worried about time.

Most lottie holders look after each other and are such a great source of knowledge. If you have plants that are poorly you can be sure that someone will know why and be able to offer you advice. We have some lovely guys on our site who have given me seedlings / excess produce / excess seeds and are always happy to spend a half hour watering your plot for you if it looks like it needs it and you aren't around.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure