Was This A Good Credit Deal?

Options
We got a leaflet through our door from a furniture store offering credit, We need a suite of furniture as the one we currently have is my parents old one and its at least 15 years old, so we called into the shop, the way they work it is, there is no credit check, we pay £20 a week and the owner of the shop calls around every week to collect the money, The total outright was £649, if we do it this way its £699. I thought it was a good deal as we can't get credit from anywhere so this was the only way we good a new suite, what yous think?

Comments

• angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You need to ensure you have a copy of the terms and conditions for the credit agreement as if there is a catch, it is likely to be hidden here somewhere.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you sure you can afford 20 per week.. e.g. have you been able to save this regularly?

There are loads of excellent deals on furniture if you have cash... it would only take 8 months to save this sort of sum.

For the record the cost of the deal is about 18% APR.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    Are you sure you can afford 20 per week.. e.g. have you been able to save this regularly?

There are loads of excellent deals on furniture if you have cash... it would only take 8 months to save this sort of sum.

For the record the cost of the deal is about 18% APR.

Can't save anything, however I always pay bills on time, I have money left over at the end of the week but I just spend it on rubbish. As for a contract, there wasnt one, just a little payment card
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hum

Do you have the furniture in the house?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • System
    Options
    RAS wrote: »
    Hum

Do you have the furniture in the house?
    Yes we do, why?
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would have suggested that you joined www.freecycle.org, where you could probably get a decent second hand suite for nothing - it is like e-bay but you do not pay anything, just the cost of collecting the goods.

I am pretty amazed by this deal, but maybe the law in NI is different? In England the shop owner would have no legal recourse as there is no CCA and I doubt if he is legally registered to offer credit facilities?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Options
    I don't like the idea of someone coming round the house every week
  • misspixierocktastic
    Options
    I was about to say the same thing debrag
  • System
    Options
    He calls around or you can go into the shop and pay or set up a standing order, I was quite amazed at this to be honest, I've never seen anywhere else doing this, and the guy is no fly by night merchant, he has been in business for as long as I can remember 20 years at least
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We paid £100 for a leather 3 seater and 2 seater sofa,we were amazed at the condition,they had it in a room they never used.Its worth looking in the paper or as mentioned freecycle.They even delivered it to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure