Prepaid Card list

Options
2»

Comments

• mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Options
    I have today received 2 sun cards. The reason I chose these were as follows.
    I bought a tesco extra sim card with £20 of credit for £10 (= £10 free)
    I went via quidco and got 2 lots of £5 in cash bk.
    The cards are £6.50 each via SMS from the tesco sim card!
    When I top for the first time I get £5 on each card.
    The charges are 50p-1.50 charge per transaction.

It really is a mine field.
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • monsieur_epargnant
    Options
    mummytofour can you set up Direct Debit payments against this card?
    “We are not interested in the fact that the brain has the consistency of cold porridge.” - Alan Turing.
  • G-G_4
    G-G_4 Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent post! Thanks so much..

After bankruptcy I have a basic account with a visa electron and can't do Tescos shopping online and make purchases at certain places. Also, i'm worried that I have no backup if the card won't work for some reason..

Just got the Extreme card as i'm into my extreme sports and it looked the best deal to me, especially no fees apart from 70p to top up at post offices and £1 cash withdrawal (which I won't be doing I hope)..

Once again, great post, you have really helped me out there.. :T

:beer:
    :D BSC Member 155 :cool:
  • churchrat
    churchrat Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    thanks m-e for doing this. I have debit card but have looked into getting one of these since my card was "cloned" last yr. we were lucky and the bank spotted it very quickly but I'm thinking of getting one of these to use in garges, internet etc cos I will only put in what needs to come out. I think the chrges are not that high, but am really interested in the one that MAY offer purchase protection 14) Cashplus Mastercard- ha sanybody used this
    thanks
    LBM-2003ish
    Owed £61k and £60ish mortgage
    2010 owe £00.00 and £20K mortgage:D
    2011 £9000 mortgage
  • saffronflowers
    Options
    I have a Cashplus Mastercard, and no idea if it does do purchase protection but it works really well for me and is extremely easy to top as you can do it fromany postoffice.

Takes a while to process as they require ID to stop money laundering.
    SFx
  • davek1
    davek1 Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    I have a cashplus mastercard and a virgin prepaid mastercard.

Neither offer purchase protection as neither are credit acrds in the strictest sense as you do not ahve a line of credit. It is effectively a deposit scheme.

Both are good but in my opinion the virgin one is slightly better as you get a fair few discounts etc with the card.

Dave
  • monsieur_epargnant
    Options
    I got a 3V card though haven't ended up using and went for The Sun Prepaid instead.

The 3V card requires you to topup at a Payzone and each topup gives you a new Visa card number and CVV2. Possibly handy if you are good at budgeting but the terms also state that each printed voucher can NOT be used in combination with another one. A bit pointless for purchasing from overseas for example unless your SURE of the UK charges. So if you have smaller amounts left over you may need to forget it existed or transfer it onto another voucher for a fee of £1.75. Good for PLANNED purchases though I guess.

I think that's all pretty stupid so it has now dropped from my list's top spot (though today I can't be bothered to change it! :rotfl: ) due to the restrictive nature of it's purchase power vs the flexibility most of the Mastercard choices.

:T for your additional info folks. It seems that they are all very much on a similar playing field then. Very much an individual choice at the end of it all.
    “We are not interested in the fact that the brain has the consistency of cold porridge.” - Alan Turing.
  • kianicky
    kianicky Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    abbey offers a visa electron, i applied for their current account and got offered an electron card instead of the proper visa debt card.
    Vegetarian's Do Not!!!! eat fish :mad:

2015 comp wins: July: Travel wallet (Yazoo competition) :j :t
  • Banyen
    Options
    I have a pre pay debit card because i have a daughter who lives in Thailand, it is cheaper to send money to her by card than Western Union who charge minimum of £12 and that is to send upto £50.
    So a wonderful idea if you want to send money abroad.
  • Puzzledbubbles
    Options
    kianicky wrote: »
    abbey offers a visa electron, i applied for their current account and got offered an electron card instead of the proper visa debt card.

We have a Abbey account for our bills etc but when we took it out we were just offered a cash card so everything is on DD or SO and cash is just used for rent/food

Does anyone know how long you need to have the account before you are able to get a "proper card" we were thinking about it the other day but not sure if they do a credit check when they upgrade you - in which case we wouldnt bother
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure