'Petrol efficiency experiment; an increase of 20%' blog discussion

Replies

• I am a big believer in using cruise control, even at low speeds, to keep a heavy foot off the gas pedal and so economise on fuel.
  • I drive Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI (Diesel)
    It gives between 60 - 65 miles in semi urban on my way to work where I get stuck in traffic jam for a good part.

And I have done motorway on the closed M1 and M25 and have got 74-77 miles consistently.

I don't drive like a manic.
    I drive smoothly.
    I slow down if I know I have to break in a bit.
    I don't try to have a race. I have a life and want to have one.
  • Agree with the thoughts. . . Thinking ahead and planning all helps keep the costs down in terms of fuel, but also the wear & tear on all the other items like brakes and tyres. Travel times almost no difference, aim for a route that helps keep the vehicle moving, the more 'forced stops/starts' you have to make (we all hit red lights sometimes!) the more the fuel is 'wasted'. If you can pick a lighter traffic window outside peak times also helps.
    Running 3 litre mercedes diesel. . . nearly 40mpg on 25 mile commutes at 35 MPH avg, a Scotland holiday driving steadily around 50 MPH ish on small roads, but over longer trips of well over 100 miles a time it was often nearer 45 mpg !! Get to know where the less costly fuel stations are and fill up before you need to. . .leave it too late and the light always comes on nearest the most costly fuel stops !!
  • Interesting thread. I've been doing this sort of thing for some time without being too obsessive about it: after all, sometimes you do have to make it somewhere on time and someone else has eaten into your planning time. So, to counter this, I've made a mental note of the journey time needed and then aimed always to leave, say, 5-10 minutes before I need to [on a journey needing over an hour]. This means telling your boss/wife/any other irritating person who just has to tell you how Coro finished last night that "I have to go or I'll be late" . Let's face it, whether you get your fuel costs back from work or have to fork out to go on holiday, the same principles apply: if you've got time to drive mindfully, you're gonna save fuel [money, planet, polar bears, etc.] and you might just have 5 minutes to spare to check your tyre pressures to boot! If you don't, well, you might just end up overtaking on the brow of a hill...........
    :spam: ..........go on, you know you fancy some!
  • I went through the tables at the back of Top Gear magazine looking for the most economical cars and only bothered test driving the ones which would save me a lot.

I ended up with a Citroen C3 which regularly tops 60mpg. I've never managed to get the average below 50mpg (over a whole tankful) over four years. And in fact, at the French speed limit, it averages 70mpg according to the onboard computer!

And now that it's out of warranty, I've started filling up at a local biodiesel station (only 82p a litre duty and tax paid) using recycled vegetable oil that would've gone to landfill. This biodiesel is British Standards compliant and now Citroen approve its use up to 30% of a tankful I believe.

I've now read that biodiesel is so much cleaner it can even help you pass the MOT as the emissions are lower.

Well worth living with a diesel for those kinds of savings!
  • I passed my driving test nearly 4 years ago - a middle aged learner! I was fortunate to have an excellent instructor who stressed the importance of less braking, less revving etc; this not only helps reduce fuel consumption but saves wear and tear on the engine. I've never clocked how much fuel I use - I drive a 1.1 Micra (called Doris!) so she's pretty good on fuel anyway. Maybe I should...........................................
  • dizziedizzie Forumite
    390 Posts
    Interesting thread. I've been monitoring this for about two months now. Like Webdeepak, I drive a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI. It isn't quite so economical as my little Fabia used to be, but it is a much bigger car being an Estate which is useful. By driving with more focus on fuel economy, I'm getting about 51-52 MPG on my rural commuting (which is very up and down and winding roads) - previously this was just below 50MPG.

I measure tyre pressures weekly, maintain regular servicing, make use of natural deceleration of car by taking foot off gas when necessary...and I also take foot off when going downhill, making best use of gravity! :j I think about my gears more, and try to keep a steady speed of about 55 MPH on open roads.

Finally, I'm thinking more about whether a trip is neccessary and whether a car share is possible. We live about 15 miles from town, so for example, on a Saturday we'll travel into town for the kid's swimming lessons. We'll pick up my mum (since she lives quite near to us) and we'll go and do our weekly food shop together whilst they are in the lesson.
  • pault123pault123 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    With the ridiculous fuel prices ive already put in £110 this month which normally gets me a month of driving. I'm not doing any more miles, i'm either too keen on the revs or ive got a petrol leak.

Tonight ive put 45 litres in which filled my tank (62 litre VW Golf tank- had some fuel in already)

I used to get on average 325 miles per 45litres. I'm going to do no more than 60 on the motorway and change gears everytime my revs hits 2000. Will also try the 2000 rev take off from stop.

Something I thought about tonight when changing up as soon as possible, would it be counter productive to change up a few seconds too early where you hear the engine labour slightly like you should have waited a few more seconds? i'm thinking a labouring engine will use more fuel. So there can be such a thing as changing up too soon.
  • harryhoundharryhound Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

ecodriving.jpg

I wonder if the "foot on the floor" technique still works if you drive a turbo diesel?
    I will have to try it and see the revs when the turbo cuts in. Particulates here we come?:rolleyes:
  • Regarding the debate on 56MPH earlier in this thread. This figure is quoted everywhere as it converts to (near enough) 90KPH, which is the speed limit in most of europe for outside built up areas. That's the only reason it's used, not wind resistance, not because it's a magic number for the efficiency of internal combustion engines.

75MPH figures are also quoted since that's 120KPH and that used to be the limit in most European countries for motorways.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides