BT over ride service 1280.

Options
I am with Onetel for calls and was thinking that i much change my line rental from BT, to them. But the thought occured to me that i would no longer be able to use 1280 which i find handy for some calls.

Has anybody changed to there line rental,can you still call 1280,and are you charged to do so.

Comments

• bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    That's a good question. I'm not sure as you could be considered no longer a BT customer in their eyes. Also remember that some 0844 numbers can't be used via CPS (OneTel/TalkTalk). I believe the new 0844 numbers used by abroadtel are not able to be used unless dialling the CPS override 1280 first.
  • April2
    April2 Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    I am with Onetel for calls and was thinking that i much change my line rental from BT, to them. But the thought occured to me that i would no longer be able to use 1280 which i find handy for some calls.

Has anybody changed to there line rental,can you still call 1280,and are you charged to do so.
    You would not be able to use the 1280 prefix to 'hop back onto' BT if you transferred your line rental to another company.

The reason is simple - you would no longer be a BT customer so how would they bill you?
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
  • Nicholas
    Nicholas Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bbb_uk wrote:
    I believe the new 0844 numbers used by abroadtel are not able to be used unless dialling the CPS override 1280 first.

I actually did use the 0844 452 0005 number through my OneTel account yesterday. Strangely enough, they do not list this number on their price tariffs, but I spent about 1 min 20 secs and was billed just over 8p.

Oh, and as a matter of interest, Kev, did you know that the AbroadTel no is listed on the CW client table. It's not a perfect solution as you have to set the dialler up to recognise 00447, but using the dialler to do it saves a few valuable seconds not having to punch in the follow on mobile number afterwards.

Edit: Just seen your posting on another thread:o
  • pinkonion
    pinkonion Posts: 354 Forumite
    Options
    I believe (but not quite 100% sure) that you wont be able to use any short codes whatsoever if you change your line rental to OneTel.

I'm on CPS with them and think it's a good balance with them giving free calls at weekends and using 18866/1899 at all other times :)
  • rabialiones
    rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    will it be the same for talktalk line rental when it starts?
    btw what is cps?
    Nice to save.
  • Nicholas
    Nicholas Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    will it be the same for talktalk line rental when it starts?
    btw what is cps?

Carrier pre select. It means that you stay with BT for your line rental but all your calls are automatically routed through another telephone service such as OneTel or TalkTalk without the need to add a code at the beginning.
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options

1280 is just an indirect access code like 1899, and you would assume that alternative line rental providers would bar it,and as Apr 2 points out, how would BT bill it if you were no longer with them.I have tried to find out if this is covered in any line rental suppliers T&C and discovered the following in Homecall,s.

(Where you are making a telephone call by dialling out the " BT Breakout Code" 1280 and you have the Homecall Line Rental Service.We will raise call call charges in respect of that call at the then current standard BT day time retail rate,or at the then current call charge rate,whichever is the higher for the number dialled.)

So it looks as if you could dial 1280 if your provider was to allow it.But it would not be worth your while.
    PF.
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    Nicholas wrote:
    ...Oh, and as a matter of interest, Kev, did you know that the AbroadTel no is listed on the CW client table. It's not a perfect solution as you have to set the dialler up to recognise 00447, but using the dialler to do it saves a few valuable seconds not having to punch in the follow on mobile number afterwards.
    No, I agree its not a perfect solution but as mentioned on the other post, because AbroadTel want the number in international format then it restricted (to a certain degree) how the dialler could be setup. I personally don't mind dialling the extra few digits to ensure I can call a mobile at 5ppm instead of 10ppm+.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure